The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing intake 2024

Hello, I’m a college student interested in studying Adult nursing at university. I know which uni I would like to firm, which is Cardiff. However, I am at a loss for insurance as both unis seem equally good in different ways. My offer for both is fairly similar with nottingham being Distinction, B, C and bournemouth being 104 tarrif points. It would be beneficial to know people’s experience of both university’s , nursing or not, as well as experience on placement and living in each city.
Thank you very much
Placement experiences are pretty much the same no matter where you are in the UK so I would worry about that so much
Original post by Gracecb
Hello, I’m a college student interested in studying Adult nursing at university. I know which uni I would like to firm, which is Cardiff. However, I am at a loss for insurance as both unis seem equally good in different ways. My offer for both is fairly similar with nottingham being Distinction, B, C and bournemouth being 104 tarrif points. It would be beneficial to know people’s experience of both university’s , nursing or not, as well as experience on placement and living in each city.
Thank you very much

Hi there! Congrats on your offers, first of all :smile:

Cardiff is a lovely place to study! I think one of its benefits is that it has the city vibes but everything is also quite close by. Prices are still quite affordable compared to the rest of UK. The campus for healthcare courses such as nursing is typically based in Heath, which is a 20min bus or a 35 minute walk. There is accomodation closer to the Heath campus as well as Cathays campus, if thats what you prefer. There's a really nice student community here and with having over 200 societies, there's a lot to do! The Cathays campus is right next to city center as well, so going out for shopping or a night out is usually a short walk away :smile:

If you wanted to know more about placements itself, Cardiff is on a platform called Unibuddy, where you can chat to current students. There's a nursing student on the platform so it might be more helpful to chat to them about more course-related stuff.

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
I wouldn't worry about your insurance choice, if you are confident you are going to meet the entry criteria for Cardiff which I am sure you are, then I wouldn't worry about the insurance choice. Just put down your preferred university for insurance, for example the one with better accommodation or closer to home, or the links they have to local hospitals and community settings. You should also look at the modules studied at both, one might offer something in one of the modules that the other one doesn't. :smile: Hope this helps!
Original post by Gracecb
Thank you very much

sorry this is completely irrelevant but do you know what the circumstances grades would be for the BTEC is it an M?
Reply 5
Original post by nooraaaaa
sorry this is completely irrelevant but do you know what the circumstances grades would be for the BTEC is it an M?

I’m assuming you mean contextual? for cardiff that’s a C which is equivalent to a merit, but everywhere has different contextual grades. Typical entry requirements for nursing from what i’ve seen has been BBB so contextual would probably be one grade below, so C which would work out as a merit.
Reply 6
Original post by elliefitz
I wouldn't worry about your insurance choice, if you are confident you are going to meet the entry criteria for Cardiff which I am sure you are, then I wouldn't worry about the insurance choice. Just put down your preferred university for insurance, for example the one with better accommodation or closer to home, or the links they have to local hospitals and community settings. You should also look at the modules studied at both, one might offer something in one of the modules that the other one doesn't. :smile: Hope this helps!

thank you ! i’ve firmed now 🤞
Original post by Gracecb
I’m assuming you mean contextual? for cardiff that’s a C which is equivalent to a merit, but everywhere has different contextual grades. Typical entry requirements for nursing from what i’ve seen has been BBB so contextual would probably be one grade below, so C which would work out as a merit.

yeah I did mean contextual for some reason I couldnt think of the word 😭😭 Thank you so much Grace x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending