The Student Room Group

France vs Uruguay Friday 3pm

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj27
Ronaldo had people complaining about his flicks and tricks and being ineffective with the ball with his showboating.

Messi was 23 when he played false 9. Mbappe is 19.

Ronaldo started playing as a striker regularly under ancelotti aged 28 and only became a full striker under Zidane aged 31.

I see the point I just choose to ignore it as its a point as its devoid of logic.

Doesn't really matter. Critics hate that ****, but he had the numbers.

Messi at 19 banged a hat trick against Rauls Real Madrid LOOOOOOOL, and you're comparing that to Mbappe who scored a tap in thanks to goalkeepers error and has little technical ability. The guy is literally copying Robben's cut in technique and cant even score today, so decided to a dive. Pathetic. As I said he can run fast and can pick out passes within a limited range but that's it. Fake football fans probably see his pace and think he's good.

Okay my bad, should have said forward. Regardless, he was playing on the wing (since that requires more technical ability) during a time where the teams were only beginning to mix up the midfield so my point still stands.

It'd be great to see a GOAT grow up and progress. But I don't see him becoming one, he hasnt got that bit of magic you saw in 19yo Messi. And it's not even close.
Original post by bj27
Uruguay conceded 1 goal this tournament prior to this lol.

Belgium almost got knocked out by Japan, Brazil have been equally as functional as France this entire tournament. The same game Brazil played vs Costa Rica who used the same tactics.

I think Brazil are the strongest team btw, but they haven't been any better than France.

Yeah, they flopped badly. Sad to see but that's football.

You're right. But France has gotten literally 1 good performance. Belgium on paper are much better, as is Brazil. Tactically speaking France aren't great.
Original post by bj27
Uruguay conceded 1 goal this tournament prior to this lol.

Belgium almost got knocked out by Japan, Brazil have been equally as functional as France this entire tournament. The same game Brazil played vs Costa Rica who used the same tactics.

I think Brazil are the strongest team btw, but they haven't been any better than France.

I completely agree with this.

Brazil and France are toe to toe, in my opinion too. Uruguay just conceding a goal this whole tournament is not a feat easy to hold and beating that takes even more of a superb effort and France have done that relatively comfortably. Meanwhile, Brazil have been very dominant and at the top of their game, espeically for the their last two or so matches. Belgium struggled against Japan, but they are still a team that can prove to be dangerous as ever once it’s their day.
Reply 63
Original post by rhaegar449
Doesn't really matter. Critics hate that ****, but he had the numbers.

Messi at 19 banged a hat trick against Rauls Real Madrid LOOOOOOOL, and you're comparing that to Mbappe who scored a tap in thanks to goalkeepers error and has little technical ability. The guy is literally copying Robben's cut in technique and cant even score today, so decided to a dive. Pathetic. As I said he can run fast and can pick out passes within a limited range but that's it. Fake football fans probably see his pace and think he's good.

Okay my bad, should have said forward. Regardless, he was playing on the wing (since that requires more technical ability) during a time where the teams were only beginning to mix up the midfield so my point still stands.

It'd be great to see a GOAT grow up and progress. But I don't see him becoming one, he hasnt got that bit of magic you saw in 19yo Messi. And it's not even close.

Seems you have selective memory.

Raul's Real Madrid in 2007 when Zidane retired and Makelele left, you know the two best players on Del Bosque's Madrid team. Funny you don't mention that. That Real Madrid team was weak and couldn't even get past the 2nd round of the CL.

Robben's cut in technique, well Robben is left footed so it would clearly be harder for him to do that on the right. He's not a Right winger anyway. Ronaldo e.g. started scoring loads of goals because he was cutting in from the left. Messi was/is cutting in from the right side. So it's harder for somebody to score a high amount of goals.

Teams only beginning to mix up the midfield? That doesn't even make any sort of sense whatsoever.

He scoring at a higher rate than any of these players and will improve his technical ability as time goes on. He is playing second fiddle to Griezmann and Neymar for club and country but he's still getting the numbers. We'll wait and see but he's scoring goals at an incredible rate now, there is no reason to suggest that it would go down, in fact with all of this all of the suggestions are that it would increase.

Original post by rhaegar449
Tactically speaking France aren't great.

On paper they're probably the same. Brazil slightly better because of Neymar. Belgium nope, they're very leaky in midfield and I can imagine Kante and Pogba having a field day vs De Bruyne+Witzel. Japan showed what happens when you take De Bruyne out of the game, they're forced to go long with Fellaini but then France have the same option with Giroud. Belgium have a lot of good attacking players but defensively they're quite shocking. Kompany/Boyata simply aren't of the level required(get Kompany's come back from injury) and they're exposed all the time. They may get past Brazil as they do have good players, but doubt they'd beat France too.

Tactically I'd say Deschamps has got it spot on. He realised that he couldn't just play his best players together as Griezmann would be too isolated and they would need to bring him into the game, there is only one real creative player in midfield in Pogba so instead he uses Giroud to hold up play for the likes of Griezmann/Mbappe and co to go off. He uses Tolisso/Matuidi in the left wing spot because he knows that Pogba struggles to play in a 2 and mid game they can switch into a 3 to prevent the side from getting overrun in midfield. It's a very smart system.

France have shown that they can win in a variety of ways, they can hurt on the counter(vs Argentina) they can break you down by set pieces and long shots(vs Uruguay) and can frustrate the opposition by holding possession and game managing. It's not pretty all the time, but neither have Brazil been pretty too. They've been doing the same thing and have been pretty sterile offensively.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MushiRock11
I completely agree with this.

Brazil and France are toe to toe, in my opinion too. Uruguay just conceding a goal this whole tournament is not a feat easy to hold and beating that takes even more of a superb effort and France have done that relatively comfortably. Meanwhile, Brazil have been very dominant and at the top of their game, espeically for the their last two or so matches. Belgium struggled against Japan, but they are still a team that can prove to be dangerous as ever once it’s their day.

One of the goals were because of a stutter by Griezmann, and that sort of **** Brazil and Belgium will now be ready for. The other goal was an error by the goalkeeper.
Original post by bj27
Seems you have selective memory.

Raul's Real Madrid in 2007 when Zidane retired and Makelele left, you know the two best players on Del Bosque's Madrid team. Funny you don't mention that. That Real Madrid team was weak and couldn't even get past the 2nd round of the CL.

Robben's cut in technique, well Robben is left footed so it would clearly be harder for him to do that on the right. He's not a Right winger anyway. Ronaldo e.g. started scoring loads of goals because he was cutting in from the left. Messi was/is cutting in from the right side. So it's harder for somebody to score a high amount of goals.

Teams only beginning to mix up the midfield? That doesn't even make any sort of sense whatsoever.

He scoring at a higher rate than any of these players and will improve his technical ability as time goes on. He is playing second fiddle to Griezmann and Neymar for club and country but he's still getting the numbers. We'll wait and see but he's scoring goals at an incredible rate now, there is no reason to suggest that it would go down, in fact with all of this all of the suggestions are that it would increase.

If you can't even admit Messi was better at 19 than Mbappe is now then you're not worth speaking to lol.
Reply 66
Good troll. Nobody was talking about Messi at 19 like that even though he was a very good player, this is selective memory at its finest.

Not once have I said that Mbappe will definitely be better than Messi/Ronaldo, but he's on track to at this rate as he improves his knowledge tactically, physically and technically.

Take the L because it's clear you had nothing to say to my comment.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bj27
Good troll. Nobody was talking about Messi at 19 like that even though he was a very good player, this is selective memory at its finest.

Not once have I said that Mbappe will definitely be better than Messi/Ronaldo, but he's on track to at this rate as he improves his knowledge tactically, physically and technically.

Take the L because it's clear you had nothing to say to my comment.

There were plenty talking about Messi at that age as going on to become the best. Just because he didnt trend on twitter doesnt change anything.

Mbappe is fast, has a bit of an eye for a pass. He could become a good playmaker but dont throw around GOAT like it's nothing. Mbappe is just another overrated teenager who will most likely crumble under pressure. And he's playing in the most uncompetitive league lol.

Your comment is waffle. It's just "but he's 19" "but he can improve".
Reply 68
Can't see how you don't rate Mbappe.

No guarantees obviously but he's 100% on course to become the GOAT on his current development.
France won as I have expected. Without Cavani, Uruguay is too harmless in attacking play to score a goal. Felt so much pity for the goal keeper Muslera. If Uruguay would not have played against one of the top favorites - Sweden, Russia, Croatia and England - Uruguay would be in semi finals now, even without Cavani (or has got chances to achieve).

France against Belgium in semi final! another top match in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest