The Student Room Group

Are you scared of exams?

I'm so stressed about next year. Purely, because of the fact that I was not serious about school .. (I still managed to get decent mock grades, I got basically 5/6/4 In my mocks)

I'm scared that if I revise hard and I fail I will be unsuccessful in life and I will be a disappointment. I can't revise at all because when I open my books I have strong anxiety so it affects my concentration. and I keep telling myself I'm going to fail anyways, so what's the f***king point?

Does anyone feel like this or it's just me? How do I resolve this GRR

My parents always tell me that you can never fail an exam if you revise, and exams are easy you just have to remember info is this true?
And apply the info
Reply 2
Original post by BrandonS03
And apply the info

What?
Reply 3
yes.****ing terrified.
Reply 4
Solution: propanalol
Reply 5
temp solution
To be honest, and this might sound mad, I enjoyed my GCSEs. I was confident, I found sitting in the sports hall listening to the whir of the air con very relaxing, I had a pen that wrote beautifully, and I was sure I could do as well as I needed to. I was right.

A Levels on the other hand were another matter entirely. I found them much more difficult than my GCSEs and as such found the exams and the approach to them much more stressful.

What I would say though is that your exams shouldn't be stressing you out to the point that you can't even bring yourself to sit down and revise. Certainly not at GCSE level, with almost a year to go until your exams start.

I think what your parents say is right, for GCSEs at least. If you put in the work, you will reap the rewards. Make sure you attend any revision classes that your school provide you with, and start revising now.

If you find that you are so anxious that you can't even think about studying, you should see your GP because you may have an anxiety disorder - nobody should get that stressed over exams.

Have a chat to your teachers and see what they suggest. Also, if you have friends doing the same subjects as you, set up study groups to discuss the course content. My friends and I used to play "Jeremy Kyle" and set up scenarios related to our courses which meant we had to debate issues etc. It might sound stupid but it was a laugh and it really, really did work.
I have just finished year 11 and I thought I was going to be stressed 24/7 but once you start you just get used to it and it's not as stressful as some people make it out to be! My advice would be to revise properly for every exam that you have in year 11 (like the end of topic tests and your mocks) because then, when you come to revise for the real exams, you will have already revised and this will make the exam season a lot less stressful. also, there should be somebody at school to support you if you're really worried (maybe tell your teachers how you're feeling). also, try not to worry about your mocks too much because my sister got Ds and Es (3s ans 2s) in her mocks but then went on to get all As in her real exams! good luck x
Reply 8
I like to view exams as an opportunity to shine and display all my hard work. As a result, I'm often excited about exams rather than being scared.
Nope, unhealthy mentality.
Original post by rockyball89
I'm so stressed about next year. Purely, because of the fact that I was not serious about school .. (I still managed to get decent mock grades, I got basically 5/6/4 In my mocks)

I'm scared that if I revise hard and I fail I will be unsuccessful in life and I will be a disappointment. I can't revise at all because when I open my books I have strong anxiety so it affects my concentration. and I keep telling myself I'm going to fail anyways, so what's the f***king point?

Does anyone feel like this or it's just me? How do I resolve this GRR

My parents always tell me that you can never fail an exam if you revise, and exams are easy you just have to remember info is this true?

Your parents are correct, I was terrified of exams until I understood how to navigate my way through them. I preferred exams to any other written assessment, I also scored much higher in exams.

Quick Reply

Latest