The Student Room Group

Changing degrees

On my UCAS Application I applied for all of my courses to be an UG Economics (BSc). With careful (and very time consuming) deliberation, I concluded that I simply do not hold the same passion that I do for the subject compared to that of History (BA), especially when it comes to career paths. I am awaiting my A-Level results but I'm shooting for a high-bracket grade for History - I haven't studied Economics either; there lay the stark contrast and my painstaking decision.

I wanted to know if any of you had to switch degrees at all? Any advice on how to do it? Literally tell me everything - I'm struggling a bit.

I am looking to study at Birkbeck - it's my firm choice. The University of Buckingham is my insurance (with an Economics with History degree, though I'd prefer to simply study History BA), although if my grades turn out better than expected I am looking towards a gap year and reapplying the year after. Thanks!
You know university of Buckingham is a private institution right?
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
You know university of Buckingham is a private institution right?

Of course! Though it wasn't until I researched into it more that I began to consider it more than my other choices:smile:
Contact the universities, ask if you can switch courses. Check out clearing either before or after results day.

Or, as you say, turn down your current places and just fully reapply next year, for history this time.
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
Contact the universities, ask if you can switch courses. Check out clearing either before or after results day.

Or, as you say, turn down your current places and just fully reapply next year, for history this time.

Thank you for the fast reply, I am most certainly going to be in contact with them ASAP, as they are not remarkably similar (the courses) I guess I'll have to do it early. Very early...
Original post by Aurelius161
Of course! Though it wasn't until I researched into it more that I began to consider it more than my other choices:smile:

Cool, then you are aware of the tuition fee's and the amount SFE would pay?
Reply 6
Cool, then you are aware of the tuition fee's and the amount SFE would pay?

That's where the problem lies, however I am pretty dead-set on Birkbeck - the largest issue with a private institution and my income is that, if I'm honest, I am not the richest of people, my bracket for SFE (maintanence loans and tuition fees) drops quite harshly. Although, as said before, I would much rather study at Birkbeck if possible.
That's where the problem lies, however I am pretty dead-set on Birkbeck - the largest issue with a private institution and my income is that, if I'm honest, I am not the richest of people, my bracket for SFE (maintanence loans and tuition fees) drops quite harshly. Although, as said before, I would much rather study at Birkbeck if possible.

That was my problem also, so had to go to Durham. It's just I really liked Buckingham's tiny group teaching, oh well.
Reply 8
That was my problem also, so had to go to Durham. It's just I really liked Buckingham's tiny group teaching, oh well.

Congrats on Durham dude! But yeah, it's difficult once financial risk and situation come into play:frown:
Congrats on Durham dude! But yeah, it's difficult once financial risk and situation come into play:frown:

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending