The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Stressed incoming UCL Student

I have an offer for Psychology at UCL but after getting in I feel really stressed. Apparently you need years of studies to get a job in Psychology, and even if I don't really want to work in Psychology apparently there aren't a lot of jobs/fields that accept psychology grads.

I feel really stressed by this because I don't want to do further study, and want a full-time job after my degree since no one else has a degree. I knew Psychology was over-subscribed but I thought going to UCL would mitigate that to some level, but now I feel like its useless and hopeless, and I am desperately trying to find a way to change my degree to something more STEM like biology, pharmacology etc...
Calm down and breathe. First of all you should do a degree you enjoy and shouldn’t be trying to change to STEM just for the sake of supposed better job opportunities if you don’t actually like science, because they’re difficult enough degrees as they are, and if there’s no passion there it’ll be torture.

Second, I think you’re stressing too much before you’ve even started the degree. Again, breathe. Once you actually start studying and get into your later years you will have a much better idea of what it is you want. And if you find you want a career in psychology then you will need to do the extra years of clinical or whatever’s required, just like a doctor has to do their rotations and so on. And you may actually enjoy this if you’re passionate about working in the field.

If you don’t want to do psychology then there’s even less reason to worry because you can apply to a much wider range of roles that a lot of people with degrees go for: teaching, business, data analysts, law, finance, marketing and so on. The options are almost unlimited here. You won’t be at a disadvantage because you have a psychology degree.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Calm down and breathe. First of all you should do a degree you enjoy and shouldn’t be trying to change to STEM just for the sake of supposed better job opportunities if you don’t actually like science, because they’re difficult enough degrees as they are, and if there’s no passion there it’ll be torture.

Second, I think you’re stressing too much before you’ve even started the degree. Again, breathe. Once you actually start studying and get into your later years you will have a much better idea of what it is you want. And if you find you want a career in psychology then you will need to do the extra years of clinical or whatever’s required, just like a doctor has to do their rotations and so on. And you may actually enjoy this if you’re passionate about working in the field.

If you don’t want to do psychology then there’s even less reason to worry because you can apply to a much wider range of roles that a lot of people with degrees go for: teaching, business, data analysts, law, finance, marketing and so on. The options are almost unlimited here. You won’t be at a disadvantage because you have a psychology degree.

I still don't feel convinced that this is the right choice for me. UCL is an amazing Uni and a lot of the alumni go into careers within Psychology, so it feels like a waste of a degree when I'm not even going to enter this over-subscribed field. I only chose this degree since I did a summer school there and enjoyed it.

No one in my family has a job. My sibling got a Psychology degree too but is currently unemployed. I was stupid for not considering these things. I feel so bad and I am desperate to change to something at least a bit more employable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending