The Student Room Group

Same course but changing degree type

Hi all,

I am currently in my 3rd year of an mechanical engineering degree, with an integrated masters.

Last year I was only on the bachelors (BEng), but have now transferred to the integrated masters (MEng). I am thinking of doing a year in industry, which would mean changing my course a second time.

So my question is, if I change my course again will I still get full funding as normal?

I know that Student Finance only allow for change of degree once, so I am just unsure as to if my situation counts as 'changing degree' more than once, even though I am technically just on a different version of the same course.

Any response is much appreciated.
Original post by asp03
Hi all,

I am currently in my 3rd year of an mechanical engineering degree, with an integrated masters.

Last year I was only on the bachelors (BEng), but have now transferred to the integrated masters (MEng). I am thinking of doing a year in industry, which would mean changing my course a second time.

So my question is, if I change my course again will I still get full funding as normal?

I know that Student Finance only allow for change of degree once, so I am just unsure as to if my situation counts as 'changing degree' more than once, even though I am technically just on a different version of the same course.

Any response is much appreciated.

Hi there,

This would be dependent on the year of entry for the new course, can you confirm that please?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

This would be dependent on the year of entry for the new course, can you confirm that please?

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your response.

I believe that ideally the year of entry would need to be this academic year, because if I get a placement arranged, if may start before the next academic year. I should note that none of my modules would change, it's just simply just adding an extra year to go on placement before my final year.

Thanks

Archie
Original post by asp03
Hi Clare,

Thanks for your response.

I believe that ideally the year of entry would need to be this academic year, because if I get a placement arranged, if may start before the next academic year. I should note that none of my modules would change, it's just simply just adding an extra year to go on placement before my final year.

Thanks

Archie

Hi Archie,

I am referring to the course year if you can confirm that please. For example; year 1, year 2, year 3 etc?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Hi Archie,

I am referring to the course year if you can confirm that please. For example; year 1, year 2, year 3 etc?

Thanks, Clare

Apologies Clare,

I am currently in third year,

Thanks

Archie
Original post by asp03
Apologies Clare,

I am currently in third year,

Thanks

Archie

Hi Archie,

Is that the 3rd and final year of the new course that you will be entering?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Hi Archie,

Is that the 3rd and final year of the new course that you will be entering?

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

Last year, I was in 2nd year of a 3 year bachelors course. I then changed to a integrated masters course.

I am in 3rd year of the 4 year long integrated masters degree now. So if I stay on this course, the next academic, 24/25, year will be my final year.

I am wanting to change onto a 5 year course, which consists of going on a placement in-between 3rd year (my current year) and my final year. So I'd spend the 24/25 academic year on placement, then come back to spend the 25/26 academic year finishing my final year. I'll note again that I'm still doing the same degree, Mechanical Engineering, and my modules wouldn't be affected.

Sorry that I had not made this clear previously.

So if I change onto the 5 year course, will I still receive full funding?

Thanks

Archie
Original post by asp03
Hi Clare,

Last year, I was in 2nd year of a 3 year bachelors course. I then changed to a integrated masters course.

I am in 3rd year of the 4 year long integrated masters degree now. So if I stay on this course, the next academic, 24/25, year will be my final year.

I am wanting to change onto a 5 year course, which consists of going on a placement in-between 3rd year (my current year) and my final year. So I'd spend the 24/25 academic year on placement, then come back to spend the 25/26 academic year finishing my final year. I'll note again that I'm still doing the same degree, Mechanical Engineering, and my modules wouldn't be affected.

Sorry that I had not made this clear previously.

So if I change onto the 5 year course, will I still receive full funding?

Thanks

Archie

Hi Archie,

Thank you for confirming.

If you are changing to a 5 year course and have 3 years of previous study prior to the 5 year course, the previous study calculation would be 5+1- 3= 3 years.

This means that you should be eligible for full funding including the Tuition Fee Loan for years 3, 4 and 5 of the new course. If you attend year 1 or 2, you will need to self fund the Tuition Fees, as those 2 years are affected by your previous study.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 8
Hi Clare,

Thanks for this information, really helpful.

Could you just elaborate on what you mean by attending year 1 or 2 please?

Thanks,

Archie
Original post by asp03
Hi Clare,

Thanks for this information, really helpful.

Could you just elaborate on what you mean by attending year 1 or 2 please?

Thanks,

Archie

Hi Archie,

The 1st and 2nd year of your new course. If you are going into direct entry of a later year you may be eligible for tuition fee loan funding.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending