The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Extra modules St Andrews

I'm looking at extra modules to take up in addition to my degree (two languages) when i start in september, I am split between taking up IR or sustainable development - i'm interested in both, specifically environmentalism for SD and diplomacy for IR.

What are the career prospects for both respective courses if i choose to continue the one i choose? What exactly do they both entail? I also like essay writing so how much of that is there in each?

Any insights/further info appreciated - even if you did a different extra module and really enjoyed that.
Reply 1
Original post by underilibilia
I'm looking at extra modules to take up in addition to my degree (two languages) when i start in september, I am split between taking up IR or sustainable development - i'm interested in both, specifically environmentalism for SD and diplomacy for IR.

What are the career prospects for both respective courses if i choose to continue the one i choose? What exactly do they both entail? I also like essay writing so how much of that is there in each?

Any insights/further info appreciated - even if you did a different extra module and really enjoyed that.

The IR modules in first year can be oversubscribed. First preference is given to those who have been admitted for IR. After that you might be put in a ballot to see if you get a space on the module. So worth having a back up option in case you don't get IR.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by S1098
The IR modules in first year can be oversubscribed. First preference is given to those who have been admitted for IR. After that you might be put in a ballot to see if you get a space on the module. So worth having a back up option in case you don't get IR.

ok will keep that in mind, is it possible to study one additional subject in first year, then a different additional subject in second year, then retain the possibility of continuing to study either of them in 3rd/4th years, or is it more stringent? how strict are they with changing subjects after first year in general, do you have any examples of anyone who dramatically changed up their degree? (not that I want to do that)
Reply 3
ok will keep that in mind, is it possible to study one additional subject in first year, then a different additional subject in second year, then retain the possibility of continuing to study either of them in 3rd/4th years, or is it more stringent? how strict are they with changing subjects after first year in general, do you have any examples of anyone who dramatically changed up their degree? (not that I want to do that)

It is possible to change your degree - provided you have studied the required modules previously. Unless you want to repeat a year then I think you'd need to have studied the subject in your first year. There are lots of examples of people changing their degree from the one they were admitted for to one of the other subjects they studied in their first year. I also know of at least one person who wanted to change degree after the first year but couldn't because they hadn't done the required modules in first year. So your choice of first year modules is important. You can see more info on modules in the module catalogue (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/modules/), including if there are any prerequisites for doing a particular module. You can see the modules required for each degree programme in the programme requirements (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2022-23/list.html?v=ug). So for example to do the Sustainable Development year 2 modules you need to have taken and passed the year 1 modules.

St Andrews graduate here. graduate prospects are poor or amazing depending on your work experience.

IR is oversubscribed as the other user said, but if you can get it i would highly recommend you try. as a science student i always felt like i missed out a bit by not getting on the IR bus at St Andrews. sustainable dv is a good one, seen as a bit of a doss subject so it's nice for a 3rd one
Reply 5
Thanks for replies, is sustainable development really not that highly regarded?
Thanks for replies, is sustainable development really not that highly regarded?

it's extremely popular so a good choice for a 3rd subject, but it's obviously not Mechanical Engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending