The Student Room Group

My application

I applied through UCAS for universities to study. I chosen to study social work. I thought I would try and apply for the foundation year, but one application had came back and the foundation year had changed to 1st year. UCAS had emailed me saying this certain University had made changes and when I logged they had change my foundation year to 1st year can someone please tell me what this is about as this is the first time applying to university and I don’t know what this means. Does this mean they believe I’m better off in the first year
It means you’ve met the requirements for year 1 and don’t have to do an extra year which is the foundation year. It’s a good thing
@Preciousferrie

A foundation year is preparation for a degree.

When I originally studied art, I did an art foundation which enabled me to build up my portfolio before applying to university. It also gave me a chance to learn about different areas of art that I might be interested in e.g. graphic design, printing, etc...

I used my portfolio to apply for degree courses, so it was helpful and it did help me to reach the conclusion that I wanted to study fine art, but it did meant an extra year of study.

Ideally, if you don't have to do a foundation degree then don't.

The first year prepares you for the additional two years of your degree.

Have a look and see if there have been any other changes to the course. If you are completely new to the area of social work, you might like to do a foundation year to get a better understanding of what the degree might involve, but if you are pretty sure that you want to study social work, then perhaps it's better to just start the degree.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
Original post by BChillington
It means you’ve met the requirements for year 1 and don’t have to do an extra year which is the foundation year. It’s a good thing

Well I didn’t know this and it’s good news,. Thank you so much for your reply , I really didn’t believe I would of met the year 1 requirements hopefully I will get an interview offered then x
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@Preciousferrie

A foundation year is preparation for a degree.

When I originally studied art, I did an art foundation which enabled me to build up my portfolio before applying to university. It also gave me a chance to learn about different areas of art that I might be interested in e.g. graphic design, printing, etc...

I used my portfolio to apply for degree courses, so it was helpful and it did help me to reach the conclusion that I wanted to study fine art, but it did meant an extra year of study.

Ideally, if you don't have to do a foundation degree then don't.

The first year prepares you for the additional two years of your degree.

Have a look and see if there have been any other changes to the course. If you are completely new to the area of social work, you might like to do a foundation year to get a better understanding of what the degree might involve, but if you are pretty sure that you want to study social work, then perhaps it's better to just start the degree.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Thank you for your reply means a lot x

Quick Reply

Latest