The Student Room Group

Changing courses, not sure what I'm eligible for etc?

I was wondering if someone would be able to help, I'm currently studying my 2nd year of my BSc and was thinking of changing my degree completely after exams in June and just finishing my current degree as a higher diploma.

I just wanted to know what student loan I am still eligible for and if I am? As I would want to start a new degree that's of a totally different area, I would have to start back from year one. Would I get funded for at least some years of this degree? And how do I go about applying/changing to a new degree on the student finance site as I'm not technically suspending my study and will still be studying?

Thanks!
Original post by vankood
I was wondering if someone would be able to help, I'm currently studying my 2nd year of my BSc and was thinking of changing my degree completely after exams in June and just finishing my current degree as a higher diploma.

I just wanted to know what student loan I am still eligible for and if I am? As I would want to start a new degree that's of a totally different area, I would have to start back from year one. Would I get funded for at least some years of this degree? And how do I go about applying/changing to a new degree on the student finance site as I'm not technically suspending my study and will still be studying?

Thanks!

Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

What university and course are you looking to change to? Are you withdrawing from your current course to change to your new course? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

What university and course are you looking to change to? Are you withdrawing from your current course to change to your new course? Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

So I'm currently studying BSc (Hons) Natural Science (Chemistry) at Open University, I guess I'll would be withdrawing from my current course after I finish this 2nd year in June and just getting a Higher Diploma qualification instead for the 2 years I have done. But I'm wanting to change to BSc (Hons) Data Science instead still within Open Uni though and would have to do the whole 3 years as it's a completely different area of study.

Thanks
Original post by vankood
Hi Karen,

So I'm currently studying BSc (Hons) Natural Science (Chemistry) at Open University, I guess I'll would be withdrawing from my current course after I finish this 2nd year in June and just getting a Higher Diploma qualification instead for the 2 years I have done. But I'm wanting to change to BSc (Hons) Data Science instead still within Open Uni though and would have to do the whole 3 years as it's a completely different area of study.

Thanks

If you are staying with the same university they should be able to send a transfer notification to advise us your course has changed. I would advise to speak with them and request this to be sent to allow the team to review your application. Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Karen
If you are staying with the same university they should be able to send a transfer notification to advise us your course has changed. I would advise to speak with them and request this to be sent to allow the team to review your application. Thanks, Karen

Okay, thank you! Lastly, for applying for a loan on student finance, do I have to change the details on my last application (my change of course) and just reapply from that application at the beginning of June when part time undergraduates are allowed to or do I create a totally new application? Hope this made sense.
Original post by vankood
Okay, thank you! Lastly, for applying for a loan on student finance, do I have to change the details on my last application (my change of course) and just reapply from that application at the beginning of June when part time undergraduates are allowed to or do I create a totally new application? Hope this made sense.

You would submit your application when they launch for your new course details and the team will review this once it has been submitted and your university has contacted us. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending