The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2690 UKCAT Band 2 (Didn't do a practise test until a day before the exam, stupid on my part) not sure how they're judging UKCAT?
Reply 81
Original post by justinamarina
I really wanted to apply to Bristol but now they are UKCAT heavy :frown: Does anyone know where I can apply to with:
GCSE's: 2A*s 9As
Alevels: A*A*AA (achieved)
UKCAT: 600 Band 2 ???? or whether I should still give Bristol a shot (might just be wasting an option)

Bristol probably isn't the best idea seeing as this year it's 100% ukcat based. Maybe look into St Georges or Southhampton. I've heard also that Imperial doesn't concentrate on GCSEs much at all, it's more based on BMAT and interviews.
Remember, the deadline for submitting your UCAS application for Medicine is 6pm (UK time) on Monday 15 October.

Tip : Dont leave it until the 15th. The UCAS website goes crazy on that day and often drops out, or freezes. You do not want to be frantically pushing buttons at 5.55pm wondering if your Medicine application will 'go' or not. Aim to get it sent well before that date. Then you can sit back and relax.
Original post by harv135
Bristol probably isn't the best idea seeing as this year it's 100% ukcat based. Maybe look into St Georges or Southhampton. I've heard also that Imperial doesn't concentrate on GCSEs much at all, it's more based on BMAT and interviews.

Where did you get the idea that Bristol '19 is 100% UKCAT based? did they say something at open day?
Original post by Molly__med
2690 UKCAT Band 2 (Didn't do a practise test until a day before the exam, stupid on my part) not sure how they're judging UKCAT?

Apply.

The advice is that anyone over 2660 has a good chance of an interview.

(Btw. Bristol don't look at SJ).
Original post by PawanKishore27
Hey guys! I am an international applicant, and I have just completed the IB scoring 38 points (HL: 666, SL: 666, TOK+EE: 2/3). ...............I still need to take the UKCAT, but I have taken 3 mocks, and have achieved an average of 700 (2800 average). Is it a good idea for me to apply to bristol for medicine? Any other uni recommendations? Any response would be appreciated:smile:

Apply.

(Hope you have UKCAT booked? Registration has already closed.)
Reply 86
Original post by Mothergoose
Where did you get the idea that Bristol '19 is 100% UKCAT based? did they say something at open day?

It’s on the website
As AS levels are scrapped the main predictor of potential would be your GCSE (95%) results and possibily UKCAT (5%).
Reply 88
Original post by Reversed Flash
As AS levels are scrapped the main predictor of potential would be your GCSE (95%) results and possibily UKCAT (5%).

No. For interviews this year they only look at ukcat. After they will look at other things to differentiate between interviewees. It's on the website and was said at the open days.
Did they say they have a ukcat threshold or just rank applicants?
Bristol only got 19 new places so they will have to be selective. Exeter got additional 88 new places in comparison.
Reply 91
Original post by Mothergoose
Did they say they have a ukcat threshold or just rank applicants?

In Bristol there's a cut off point for ukcat based on the average for that year. The average should be coming out today or in the next couple of days.
The ukcat avg for 2018 is out! 2485
With the averages as they are, do you think a score of 2690 (80th decile) would be enough for an interview
Original post by Reversed Flash

please dont spread false info on admissions
Original post by bobrsjssxfg
With the averages as they are, do you think a score of 2690 (80th decile) would be enough for an interview

I don’t think there’s anyway of knowing, I’m applying with 2710 because it is one of my favourites but depends on if you think it’s worth the risk and if you have other safe options because it could go either way
665 was in the middle of the 6th decile last year, as such I think anyone who has achieved a score in the 6th decile and above (2550 ) this year have a competitive chance, if you are slightly below this you may still have a chance because the scores this year are a lot lower!! Don’t compare the actual score, compare the decile!!
Reply 97
Original post by username99TSR
665 was in the middle of the 6th decile last year, as such I think anyone who has achieved a score in the 6th decile and above (2550 ) this year have a competitive chance, if you are slightly below this you may still have a chance because the scores this year are a lot lower!! Don’t compare the actual score, compare the decile!!

Except that lat year, PS and academics made up a significant proportion of the pre-interview scoring system at Bristol, with UKCAT only worth 20%, so those with high UKCATs bt less strong stats elsewhere would not have applied. This year they are more likely to consider Bristol. You can't compare apples with oranges
Yes to some extent that’s true BUT last year was 15% gcses 15% predicted grades so those stats weren’t even heavy thus u saying that those with lower stats elsewhere wouldn’t have applied is wrong cuz Heaps did with v v high UKCAT stats and heaps did w v v low UKCAT stats - it was 50% ps so that was the determining factor, and many ppl applied regardless of the stats cuz stats barely played a role. Also, in general based on these UKCAT published result, results are LOWER this year so simply there isn’t as much 700 scorers this year than there was last year if you get what I mean :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by tsruser00
Yes to some extent that’s true BUT last year was 15% gcses 15% predicted grades so those stats weren’t even heavy thus u saying that those with lower stats elsewhere wouldn’t have applied is wrong cuz Heaps did with v v high UKCAT stats and heaps did w v v low UKCAT stats - it was 50% ps so that was the determining factor, and many ppl applied regardless of the stats cuz stats barely played a role. Also, in general based on these UKCAT published result, results are LOWER this year so simply there isn’t as much 700 scorers this year than there was last year if you get what I mean :smile:

People with high UKCAT scores last year were far less likely to apply somewhere where 50% of the pre-interview score was based on something as subjective as the UKCAT, when they could have guaranteed interviews at other universities.
Number of people sitting the UKCAT is up by 10% this year, scores at 9th decile down <2%. There will be more 700 plus scoring people I would have
thought, based on that maths? And Bristol will only offer a certain number of interviews, that will not increase if more people apply.

Latest

Trending

Trending