The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Changing colleges at Durham?

I got my a levels a few days ago and got my place at Durham, but but I’ve been allocated a really modern, informal college. I would have preferred a more traditional one but I’m not that bothered I’m just happy to have a place at all, but my parents really want me to go to a different college, they’re worried I’ll miss out on the gowned formal dinners and all that kind of stuff which to be honest, I am kind of annoyed we don’t do, but I know it’s not the end of the world. They’re also convinced that all people do there is party because they’ve seen a few videos of parties at the college online, I know it’s stupid but basically they want me to see if I can change somehow because they think the college doesn’t really fit my personality but I don’t want to seem rude or ungrateful because I really am happy to have the place, so I was just wondering if anyone knows if changing colleges is possible and if it happens quite regularly or if it’s really rare and for special circumstances? Thanks!
Reply 1
Unfortunately they won't change just based on preference and your college is linked to your offer and so the only way to change college would be to decline the offer and lose your place :-( All of the colleges cater for all students and although some of them present themselves as big, buzzy colleges with a great nightlife, they all have quieter areas and you'll get to do lots of different activities within the college! I wouldn't worry, i loved my time at Durham and you're going to have an amazing time!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Which college are you going to? I also wanted to change as I rushed my Durham application to meet the Oxford deadline so didn't research enough but I got told I couldn't change unless I had medical reasons backed up by a Doctor.
Reply 3
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Which college are you going to? I also wanted to change as I rushed my Durham application to meet the Oxford deadline so didn't research enough but I got told I couldn't change unless I had medical reasons backed up by a Doctor.

I’m in collingwood, literally the exact same situation with me, I applied to Cambridge and spent so much time trying to apply to the right college there that I think I just put down University college even though I knew I wouldn’t get into it because I didn’t have time to look into any of them properly either

Quick Reply

Latest