The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham cozy or claustrophobic?

Title is pretty self explanatory. I enjoy the feeling of big busy cities and I recently got an offer from Durham which is the uni with the best graduate prospects that I've applied for. This would be an easy firm choice if it weren't for the small town vibe Durham brings. Is it that noticeable? I'm scared I'll feel suffocated by the lack of social life.
For social life Newcastle is 10-12 mins away by Train.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1
Title is pretty self explanatory. I enjoy the feeling of big busy cities and I recently got an offer from Durham which is the uni with the best graduate prospects that I've applied for. This would be an easy firm choice if it weren't for the small town vibe Durham brings. Is it that noticeable? I'm scared I'll feel suffocated by the lack of social life.
Hi there

Congratulations on your offer!

It's a good question and something many people ask here. I've lived in Durham for almost 3 years now so can share my opinion with you.

I come from a big city as well and when I moved to Durham, I realized it was actually quite small compared to what I was used to. But I wouldn't classify Durham as claustrophobic. I've found that there's actually quite a lot to get involved in inside and outside the uni. Sports, societies, college events, balls, formals are all part of students' social life here. Also, colleges have their own bars and social spaces where you can hangout with your friends. There are several clubs and bars in the city centre too, many of which are student-dominated on Wednesday and Friday nights. Newcastle is just 15 mins away by train and costs around £5 for a return journey- an option that students tend to choose as well if they want a change of scenery.

Toby's blog on this gives more insight- https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/no-alcohol-no-problem/

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest