The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Psychology at Leeds - science

Hi, I'm going to apply for psychology at Leeds Uni 2019. This university will probably be my first choice if all goes well.

However, a concern of mine is the 'real science'/biological component. I do think I'm able to do this, and I enjoy learning about it, but this is obviously (in my opinion) a little more difficult than, say, social influence etcetera. (The more wordy, theoretical thing is what I mean, I think. The stuff some people wouldn't regard as science.)

Is psychology at Leeds a lot more 'scientific' than other universities? I'll still apply regardless, but it is a concern.
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by TSR_Ollie
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Thank you :h:
Psychology at Leeds is just as scientific as the other university’s that do it, there is some statistics but people will talk you through it and help you. Leeds is a really good place to pick for psych you’ll love it x
Reply 4
Original post by _katiejohnson
Psychology at Leeds is just as scientific as the other university’s that do it, there is some statistics but people will talk you through it and help you. Leeds is a really good place to pick for psych you’ll love it x

Thank you Katie! :h: I'm looking forward to it if I can get there haha - it does look good
I’m a second year psychology student at Leeds University and I can assure you that it isn’t nearly as biologically orientated as you assume. You have low contact hours I have like maybe a few lectures per week. Most of your time is free (trust me, I wish we had more lectures).

Only one module in first year is on biology and even that is quite short and basic.

Psychology is pretty straightforward and as long as you do the recommended reading you’ll be fine. It’s not harder than most universities and lecturers and professors keep things minimal, so the stuff they teach is quite simple. In the exams you have an essay and in that they want to see wider reading, stuff you are interested in and have picked out, which means if there’s anything you don’t enjoy or find hard you can ignore it and put in the stuff you do enjoy and understand and get a relatively good grade. The key is just work hard and head for the library.

You’ll do just fine.
Reply 6
@Henrysewell96 thank you so much! You've left me feeling very positive at the moment 😊 Just got to focus on actually succeeding with my application now haha. I am very determined so hopefully it'll go well 🤷🤞 Good luck with your own studies! Although it doesn't seem like you need it haha
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
@Henrysewell96 Is it very maths intensive? I know maths has to be a key part but does it get very complicated?
You have to do research articles and do stats for them. But no, they don’t expect a lot and they go through stuff really slowly. Stuff like t-tests, ANOVAS, regression. Sounds hard, but it isn’t that bad. In the research articles they tell you which statistics tests to do and how to do them. Just make sure you do the recommended reading and homework. You get homework in stats, make sure you do it. It’s like they get you to do the t-tests on your own and give you the answers a day later, I never did it and regetted not doing it. But it’s fine.

There’s no maths just statistics and no it doesn’t get that bad, just turn up to lectures. If you miss one stats lecture, the others get a bit confusing, make sure you go to all of them and you’ll be fine.

There’s nothing to worry about to be honest. You’ll get it once you’re here, there’s no point panicking. Girls hate maths generally (most girls suffer from maths anxiety) and they seem to manage fine on our course. So you’ll be okay
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
@Henrysewell96 Ah, okay. I got a grade 8 in GCSE maths so I should be able to do it, I was just worried I'd have to memorise tons of really complicated formulae haha. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest