The Student Room Group

Drop Economics or Maths for Oxbridge Medicine?

Seems straight forward, however i got a really high percentage in Econ ~93% and lower for maths ~75% UMS. Biol and Chem are strong so it cool for them. Im thinking interms of Cambridge and the balance between 3 Sciences and total UMS because i didnt do that well in my GCSEs (3A*s,6A's,2B's) OTHERWISE I WOULD 100% APPLY OXFORD:frown:
Original post by LostElectron
Seems straight forward, however i got a really high percentage in Econ ~93% and lower for maths ~75% UMS. Biol and Chem are strong so it cool for them. Im thinking interms of Cambridge and the balance between 3 Sciences and total UMS because i didnt do that well in my GCSEs (3A*s,6A's,2B's) OTHERWISE I WOULD 100% APPLY OXFORD:frown:

they know economics is easier than maths a level. your GCSE grades will be well below average for Oxbridge medicine. i think you're aiming too high tbh
Original post by CollectiveSoul
they know economics is easier than maths a level. your GCSE grades will be well below average for Oxbridge medicine. i think you're aiming too high tbh

Yes id agree but i believe you are wrong interms of GCSEs. I know that statement holds true for Oxford without a doubt, because they say how its used for shortlisting. But Cambridge do not and it is heavily based on AS UMS.
Original post by LostElectron
Yes id agree but i believe you are wrong interms of GCSEs. I know that statement holds true for Oxford without a doubt, because they say how its used for shortlisting. But Cambridge do not and it is heavily based on AS UMS.

your 75% ums for maths isn't going to impress Cambridge tbh...
Original post by CollectiveSoul
your 75% ums for maths isn't going to impress Cambridge tbh...

Totally agree.. Thats why im thinking of dropping Maths which was the original question. Then im left with over 94% on each 3 a levels - Biol, Chem, Econ. i dont have to include the fourth.
Reply 5
Drop Maths as a 75% overall ums means it is highly unlikely you will get an A* in maths in A2. Your GCSE profile isn't the best so I wouldn't be so confident about getting an interview as Cambridge still use gcse's to compare candidates.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rh_s
Drop Maths as a 75% overall ums means it is highly unlikely you will get an A* in maths in A2. Your GCSE profile isn't the best so I wouldn't be so confident about getting an interview as Cambridge still use gcse's to compare candidates.

Okay thanks for the most direct answer yet. Do you think i should scrap applying to Oxbridge and look to London instead?

Quick Reply

Latest