The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Irish Student in Edinurgh Uni

Hello! Im a student in Ireland, im currently in my last year called the Leaving Cert.
I want to apply to the University of Edinburgh for International Business but I have a couple of worries that are throwing me off applying...
1) Will I get in?
I heard that E.Uni doesn't go by the UCAS point system and more on grades... I achieved 7 A's and 4 B's at Higher Level in the Junior Cert. Will they be asking for my class test results from 5th year and LC? Because Im afraid I didn't do so well in those, but I know I will do well in the LC (aiming for 565 points). If I get my teachers to predict me good grades is that enough, or do I need my actual report card transcripts?
Is it worth my while applying?
What grades do I need to be predicted to get offered a place?

2) Student Finance.
So I know I am eligible for my tuition fees to be paid but do I get any maintenance grants/loans of some sort to pay for my accommodation? I don't have any college funds whatsoever, but would there be a loan I could get to pay through the 4 years of college?

Thank you !!!
Original post by Combetlee
Hello! Im a student in Ireland, im currently in my last year called the Leaving Cert.
I want to apply to the University of Edinburgh for International Business but I have a couple of worries that are throwing me off applying...
1) Will I get in?
I heard that E.Uni doesn't go by the UCAS point system and more on grades... I achieved 7 A's and 4 B's at Higher Level in the Junior Cert. Will they be asking for my class test results from 5th year and LC? Because Im afraid I didn't do so well in those, but I know I will do well in the LC (aiming for 565 points). If I get my teachers to predict me good grades is that enough, or do I need my actual report card transcripts?
Is it worth my while applying?
What grades do I need to be predicted to get offered a place?

2) Student Finance.
So I know I am eligible for my tuition fees to be paid but do I get any maintenance grants/loans of some sort to pay for my accommodation? I don't have any college funds whatsoever, but would there be a loan I could get to pay through the 4 years of college?

Thank you !!!

Edinburgh doesn't set requirements based on UCAS points.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/european-union-undergraduate-entry-requirements/g-l/ireland

I'm not sure about funding - will be worth contacting Edinburgh and they can help you

Moved to the University of Edinburgh subforum :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
You need to enter all your exam qualifications on UCAS, so all the unis you’ve applied to will see the grades you achieved in Junior cert (which I assume is equivalent to GCSEs in England, your first set of external exams). I don’t think Edinburgh will look at those grades too much, as long as you’ve passed the core subjects and the subjects which are relevant to your course then it should be fine.

For predictions, to have a good chance, you need to be at least predicted the grades of the entry requirements of the course, so you need to research the course to find these.
I did my Leaving Cert a few years ago and I've now finished my first degree in the UK! I applied to Edinburgh at the time as well - great choice. :wink:

Obviously Edinburgh is obviously a very high-ranked uni and very difficult to get into coming from any background, so it's difficult to say. I got simlar JC grades to you (AAAAAAABBB) and was predicted AAAAABBB in my Leaving Cert - I believe they've changed the grading system since I sat my LC, but for context that would be a minimum of 550 points. Edinburgh did, unfortunately, reject me. However, there are so many different factors that go into your application that you really shouldn't let that dissuade you.

They won't ask for your test results since then, but they will ask your teachers to predict your grades. It's worth talking to your teachers beforehand to make sure they're willing to predict a high grade for you - if they know what you're capable of, then your class report cards won't matter as the university won't know anything your teachers don't choose to tell them (so, for example, if you did really well in the summer exam for your chosen subject then that could be worth mentioning, but if you underperformed in one text for an unrelated subject it really won't matter and they'll never know). It's also true that they take grades into account more than the CAO does, but there's a reason for that - they care more about how you do in your chosen subject and related subjects than they do your unrelated subjects. So, for example, all my UCAS offers gave me grades that I needed to achieve but they also had to be in particular subjects - so, for example, I was asked by one uni to achieve AAABBB, but only if two of the A's were in Chemistry (my chosen subject) and another related subject (Physics, Maths or Applied Maths in my case). So, hence the emphasis on grades.

I'm sure you're aware that you'll also have to get your teacher to write you a reference, and you have to write a personal statement. These are really important. I recommend reading lots of personal statements that are available online to give yourself a better idea of what's expected - you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage next to students from the UK who have such advice more readily available to them. (I was complimented on my PS in particular, though, so I don't imagine it makes that much of a difference as long as you do have an idea of what to write.)

Having said I was rejected myself, I do have some good news! Your predicted results are obviously a little better than mine and, more importantly, every student is different and students predicted similar grades won't necessarily get the same result. It's not like the CAO where points are the only differentiating factor - your personal statement really gives you the chance to sell yourself. I didn't get into Edinburgh but I did get offers from most of my UCAS choices, including some in Scotland, and also from one English university in particular which ranked far above Edinburgh at the time, which shows how unpredictable the process can be. Whether or not you get an offer can be very difficult to predict based on grades alone but your predicted grades are very, very good and it is more than worth a shot. :smile:

I'm basically rambling now so if you do have any questions for someone who's been through the process my inbox is always open, but in short: absolutely, apply. The only way to guarantee you won't get in is not to!

As for grants/loans, in my experience I was given the opportunity to apply either as an EU student or a UK student (I have dual nationality) and I was told at the time that I'd only be eligible for maintenance loans etc if I applied as a UK national. However, this was several years ago so please don't take my word for that. Student Finance have accounts on TSR, Twitter and Facebook where they're generally very quick to reply (particularly on TSR and Twitter), and very helpful. It's well worth asking them for advice.
Oh my - sorry for the novel. :colondollar::biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by ingeardagum
I did my Leaving Cert a few years ago and I've now finished my first degree in the UK! I applied to Edinburgh at the time as well - great choice. :wink:

Obviously Edinburgh is obviously a very high-ranked uni and very difficult to get into coming from any background, so it's difficult to say. I got simlar JC grades to you (AAAAAAABBB) and was predicted AAAAABBB in my Leaving Cert - I believe they've changed the grading system since I sat my LC, but for context that would be a minimum of 550 points. Edinburgh did, unfortunately, reject me. However, there are so many different factors that go into your application that you really shouldn't let that dissuade you.

They won't ask for your test results since then, but they will ask your teachers to predict your grades. It's worth talking to your teachers beforehand to make sure they're willing to predict a high grade for you - if they know what you're capable of, then your class report cards won't matter as the university won't know anything your teachers don't choose to tell them (so, for example, if you did really well in the summer exam for your chosen subject then that could be worth mentioning, but if you underperformed in one text for an unrelated subject it really won't matter and they'll never know). It's also true that they take grades into account more than the CAO does, but there's a reason for that - they care more about how you do in your chosen subject and related subjects than they do your unrelated subjects. So, for example, all my UCAS offers gave me grades that I needed to achieve but they also had to be in particular subjects - so, for example, I was asked by one uni to achieve AAABBB, but only if two of the A's were in Chemistry (my chosen subject) and another related subject (Physics, Maths or Applied Maths in my case). So, hence the emphasis on grades.

I'm sure you're aware that you'll also have to get your teacher to write you a reference, and you have to write a personal statement. These are really important. I recommend reading lots of personal statements that are available online to give yourself a better idea of what's expected - you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage next to students from the UK who have such advice more readily available to them. (I was complimented on my PS in particular, though, so I don't imagine it makes that much of a difference as long as you do have an idea of what to write.)

Having said I was rejected myself, I do have some good news! Your predicted results are obviously a little better than mine and, more importantly, every student is different and students predicted similar grades won't necessarily get the same result. It's not like the CAO where points are the only differentiating factor - your personal statement really gives you the chance to sell yourself. I didn't get into Edinburgh but I did get offers from most of my UCAS choices, including some in Scotland, and also from one English university in particular which ranked far above Edinburgh at the time, which shows how unpredictable the process can be. Whether or not you get an offer can be very difficult to predict based on grades alone but your predicted grades are very, very good and it is more than worth a shot. :smile:

I'm basically rambling now so if you do have any questions for someone who's been through the process my inbox is always open, but in short: absolutely, apply. The only way to guarantee you won't get in is not to!

As for grants/loans, in my experience I was given the opportunity to apply either as an EU student or a UK student (I have dual nationality) and I was told at the time that I'd only be eligible for maintenance loans etc if I applied as a UK national. However, this was several years ago so please don't take my word for that. Student Finance have accounts on TSR, Twitter and Facebook where they're generally very quick to reply (particularly on TSR and Twitter), and very helpful. It's well worth asking them for advice.

Thank you so so much for your reply! It's really helpful! I will talk to my guidance counselor and if she says there are maintenance loans/grants then I will definitely apply :smile: Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending