The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who is scared to die?

Scroll to see replies

I’m sure at 70+ Im nearer to the end of life than most of you. I’ve had my children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. I’ve done things in my later years I couldn’t do when I was younger. I’ve been to university and graduate on Friday. I’m content with my life. I don’t believe in Hell or an afterlife. If I did, I would wish it on my tormentors as a child. But that uses up a lot of energy.
I will be sad to leave my family behind but that’s life - and death.
I would like to go in my sleep and not see my family suffer watching me in pain.
No im not its natural
It depends on what you believe. I'm not afraid of death because I know it is only a transition from this physical 3D plane into the spiritual planes where I believe each and every one of us originate from. To me, death is only an illusion. It doesn't exist.
Reply 23
Original post by lunarr.
Hence why I meant the people who see it as relief have nothing to fear; except, how sure can you be that it is relief? How sure can you be you're not just going to burn in hell or fade in oblivion? How good of a person can you be to really, really not fear death? Just the way I've always felt.

The only bad thing would be to have an afterlife, and if it's hell I'm to go to then that's fine by me to some extent.
Reply 24
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Death itself isn’t scary to me at all. I think people fear more the process of dying (and whether it’ll be painful and uncomfortable) than the actual moment of death.

I know I’m not going to hell because it doesn’t exist, the concept makes no sense and the main deities (Allah, Yahweh etc.) who are supposed to have created it are definitely not real, their own texts disprove them. Therefore if there is an afterlife I don’t expect it to be filled with horrors and mutilation. However, I don’t need an afterlife to enjoy my life and give it meaning.

Life is an unspeakable treasure and I feel that its full beauty is garnered from fully focusing on it now instead of always looking to the afterlife and therefore missing the life that’s going on right in front of you.

Perfectly put.
I didn't use to fear death, like someone else said, it can be a welcomed relief from suffering. Now that I've got older, and can't say the suffering has decreased, I fear death now, probably because with each passing year I'm becoming more and more attached to this shell. A shell for the DNA or my soul, it doesn't matter. I feel like I could go through the worst possible thing in life and still fear death, like a knidnappee falling in love with their kidnapper or torturer. Life's a devil, Death's a devil...better the devil you know? :dontknow: I can't fathom not existing, even though we can all say it's like before you were born.

Quick Reply

Latest