The Student Room Group

Vector proof

Not too sure if I show post this question in A level or undergrad, hopefully someone can answer it for me.
Proof that a\mathbf{a}.b\mathbf{b} =14\frac{1}{4} (a+b2)(|\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b}|^2)-(ab2)(|\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}|^2)
My attempt was trying to generalise the vectors a and b slightly such that a\mathbf{a} = (a1, a2, a3) and b\mathbf{b} = (b1, b2, b3) and start on the right hand side and eventually it will become a1b1+a2b2+a3b3 which is the same as a dot b but I was wondering does dot product apply more than 3 dimensions, for instance, should I make a\mathbf{a}= (A1,A2,A3,A4...An) instead?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Iconic_panda
Not too sure if I show post this question in A level or undergrad, hopefully someone can answer it for me.
Proof that a\mathbf{a}.b\mathbf{b} =14\frac{1}{4} (a+b2)(|\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b}|^2)-(ab2)(|\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}|^2)
My attempt was trying to generalise the vectors a and b slightly such that a\mathbf{a} = (a1, a2, a3) and b\mathbf{b} = (b1, b2, b3) and start on the right hand side and eventually it will become a1b1+a2b2+a3b3 which is the same as a dot b but I was wondering does dot product apply more than 3 dimensions, for instance, should I make a\mathbf{a}= (A1,A2,A3,A4...An) instead?

If you are going to take such an approach, then yes you need to generalise to arbitrary dimension nn by saying that a=(a1,a2,,an)\mathbf{a} = (a_1, a_2 , \ldots , a_n)

I assume you mean ab=14(a+b2ab2)\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b} = \frac{1}{4} \left( |\mathbf{a} + \mathbf{b}|^2 - |\mathbf{a} - \mathbf{b}|^2 \right).

You can say that
a+b2=(a1+b1)2+(a2+b2)2++(an+bn)2|\mathbf{a} + \mathbf{b}|^2 = (a_1 + b_1)^2 + (a_2 + b_2)^2 + \ldots + (a_n + b_n)^2
ab2=(a1b1)2+(a2b2)2++(anbn)2|\mathbf{a} - \mathbf{b}|^2 = (a_1 - b_1)^2 + (a_2 - b_2)^2 + \ldots + (a_n - b_n)^2

Then clearly

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{aligned} |\mathbf{a} + \mathbf{b}|^2 - |\mathbf{a} - \mathbf{b}|^2 & = [(a_1 + b_1)^2 - (a_1 - b_1)^2] + [(a_2 + b_2)^2 - (a_2 - b_2)^2] + \ldots + [(a_n + b_n)^2 - (a_n - b_n)^2] \\ & = ???

Finish it off from there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Iconic_panda
In full generality, the dot product applies to things where "dimensions" (in the way you are thinking about them) doesn't even make sense. (For example, for real continuous functions on [0,1] you could define f.g=01f(x)g(x)dxf.g = \int_0^1 f(x)g(x)\,dx).

If you want to do this for general vectors, I would use the fact that u2=uu|\mathbf{u}|^2 = \mathbf{u}\cdot \mathbf{u} and the distributive law for the dot product. It's a very short proof this way.

Edit: I see you said this was possibly a "undergrad" question: certainly for an undergrad proof, I would do what I suggest instead of writing a = (a1, a2, ..., an) etc.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest