The Student Room Group

What's awesome about A-level biology?

The learning, the prospects it offers, everything.
Bro you make too many threads
Original post by SudanesePrince

Biology is goddamn awful and incredibly dull
Original post by Grade A
Bro you make too many threads

I have lots of questions, and I am pretty lost at the moment.
Original post by Physikoi
Biology is goddamn awful and incredibly dull

This is discouraging, could you be so kind as too explain you view, also what do you think of physics.
This is discouraging, could you be so kind as too explain you view, also what do you think of physics.

It's only my opinion xD I have zero experience with A level biology, but obviously pick it if you aspire to be a doctor. I absolutely love physics; the theories are so breath-taking and the mathematical links amaze me
It's only my opinion xD I have zero experience with A level biology, but obviously pick it if you aspire to be a doctor. I absolutely love physics; the theories are so breath-taking and the mathematical links amaze me

How can you judge what you don't know?!
How can you judge what you don't know?!

based off of my GCSE experience on the subject :tongue:
based off of my GCSE experience on the subject :tongue:

Ah I see, to be fair my exp of physics at GCSE was a bit ass but I know it gets better at A level. The main reason for this post is to help me decide between physics and bio.
Ah I see, to be fair my exp of physics at GCSE was a bit ass but I know it gets better at A level. The main reason for this post is to help me decide between physics and bio.

I got A* in A Level Biology and when I chose to do it for A-Level I was scared that I was going to find it completely boring. But in the end I would say that I actually enjoyed the majority of the content, there's obviously a few topics that are going to be boring (e.g global warming) but as long as you enjoyed it at GCSE, then you will enjoy it at A-Level. In terms of difficulty you will definitely see it get harder in Year 13 compared to Year 12 but it's definitely possible if you put in the work. I just wished I didn't have such a ridiculously hard exam board (I had Salters Nuffield)

It depends what you're more passionate about as well as what career you want. Physics opens up a lot of doors degree-wise (if done with maths) e.g. Engineering, Chemical engineering, Physics, Comp sci, Economics etc. Similarly, Bio opens up a few doors too: biomedical sciences, medicine, biology, biological engineering maybe
It depends what you're more passionate about as well as what career you want. Physics opens up a lot of doors degree-wise (if done with maths) e.g. Engineering, Chemical engineering, Physics, Comp sci, Economics etc. Similarly, Bio opens up a few doors too: biomedical sciences, medicine, biology, biological engineering maybe

Chemical engineering, Comp sci and Economics are all accessible without physics, requiring maths mostly (and chem engi. requires chem). But physics is useful for these degrees. All three remain targets of mine, and chemical engi. is one of my most desired targets.

Original post by jj.repinec
I got A* in A Level Biology and when I chose to do it for A-Level I was scared that I was going to find it completely boring. But in the end I would say that I actually enjoyed the majority of the content, there's obviously a few topics that are going to be boring (e.g global warming) but as long as you enjoyed it at GCSE, then you will enjoy it at A-Level. In terms of difficulty you will definitely see it get harder in Year 13 compared to Year 12 but it's definitely possible if you put in the work. I just wished I didn't have such a ridiculously hard exam board (I had Salters Nuffield)

Also one thing I wish I had done before is look at the specification of your specific exam board and just look through all the topics that you cover. If most of it seems good then your most likely going to enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest