The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Make a plan before you start writing!
Start each paragraph with a clear topic sentence which relates to the essay title.
Ensure that you write a clear introduction and conclusion too.
Reply 2
piece_by_piece
Make a plan before you start writing!
Start each paragraph with a clear topic sentence which relates to the essay title.
Ensure that you write a clear introduction and conclusion too.

Hi, i know your quite good at english and i've got a question with the english lit. For the intro and conclusion i know it's important to relate to the question but do you make any like arguments/points in the intro/conc?

Because, i've had conflicting answers one of my teachers says you should never make new points particulalry in the conclusion, but the other one says it's good as it shows your focused on the novel/poem

Thanks
3107a
Hi, i know your quite good at english and i've got a question with the english lit. For the intro and conclusion i know it's important to relate to the question but do you make any like arguments/points in the intro/conc?

Because, i've had conflicting answers one of my teachers says you should never make new points particulalry in the conclusion, but the other one says it's good as it shows your focused on the novel/poem

Thanks

In the introduction I tend to make very brief points about the poems and link that to the essay title, but I don't make any in-depth analysis. However, for the conclusion I don't make any new points. I think it's best for the conclusion to talk about how you feel about the poems, and which one you think is best.
Reply 4
*Niazy (:
The grade boundries are ridiculous as well!

No they're not: they just look ridiculous because nobody knows how English is marked. There aren't disproportionately few people getting A/A* in English or English Lit, so I'm sure that the grade boundaries are fine.

Make sure your essay is coherent and you should be fine. I'm also rubbish at writing essays quickly yet I found myself easily knocking off pages and pages: you'll be surprised by how quickly you can write when it matters. :biggrin:
Reply 5
*hands up* Count me in for writing rubbish essays. :biggrin:
My teacher told us to wrie sophisticately, lucidly, succinctly and coherently as well, but how do you do that? I can't never manage to be succinct, I just HAVE to waffle to make points for some reason.XD

about points, my teacher recommends us to state the theme/main point in your introduction, make smaller points that back up your main point in your introduction and end your essay with a one-sentence conclusion if it helps to save time.
-->Something which I can never seem to do, despite of letting us to do some practise essays untimed! :biggrin:
Nimbus
*hands up* Count me in for writing rubbish essays. :biggrin:
My teacher told us to wrie sophisticately, lucidly, succinctly and coherently as well, but how do you do that?

Lucidly and coherently are basically the same thing; your teacher is telling you all to write clearly, so make your points as clear as possible and leave out all the "waffle". Sophisticatedly simply means to write elegantly, so use a wide range of vocabulary, and try to avoid repetition of words. Lastly, succinctly means concisely, so just try to get straight to the point!
I hope this helps, good luck!
One thing I found helpful was to....relax. For example, I spent months revising for my psychology and was really stressed for it and I never really answered the questions as per say but instead just regurgitated my pre-made essay plans. Whereas for my English exams, I did stress for it but that was during revision time. I left like 2 days before the exam with light reading of the subject to clear my head and that REALLY helped. Just make sure you go into the exam with a clear head (not clear as in everything erased) and take a deep breath.

For the essays, it IS a prerequisite that you plan. If you fail to plan then you plan to fail. How you plan is really up to you, be it a mind map, bullet points or whatever.

For introductions I think it's good to provide a very brief overview of the text according to the essay question. Be concise and to the point in your main paragraphs, don't regurgitate the text but instead elaborate it, extend it, look deeper into it, what's the underlying meaning of it. Refering to the person who mentioned the teacher telling you not to start new points in your essays, I think that's quite silly to be honest. Of course your allowed to start new points BUT only at the start of a new paragraph. If your making a new point start a new paragraph. For the conclusion, you just sum up all the points you made briefly and tie it all together and say whether it was successful or not.
Reply 8
piece_by_piece
Lucidly and coherently are basically the same thing; your teacher is telling you all to write clearly, so make your points as clear as possible and leave out all the "waffle". Sophisticatedly simply means to write elegantly, so use a wide range of vocabulary, and try to avoid repetition of words. Lastly, succinctly means concisely, so just try to get straight to the point!
I hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks for the explanation. I still cannot get rid of the waffle problem, but someday, hopefully I will get there (hopefully it will not be...like after my Englsih exams.XD)

EDIT:
Yeah, I agree about relaxation, my english mock results in year 10 were more consistent than my year 11 ones that really taught me to try and relax if I can.
Reply 9
i remember my gcse english exam!
ah dear the amount of writing.

but don't look at the clock, wastes too much time!
:wink:
Reply 10
write a draft on your hand.
Reply 11
I always get stuck for ideas in the exam.. i spend ages trying to think of something to write and and end up with no time for the essay :s-smilie:

Am i being too picky? Is it more about how you write the essay than how original the ideas are?

i wish i had your waffling problem :P at least you have something to write! :wink:
In order to avoid being stuck for ideas, all you can do is revise beforehand and brainstorm various ideas. It does matter how original your ideas are, because it's the original ideas which obtain an A/A*. The stucture of your essay is also of great importance; i tend to stick to a very similar structure for all of my essays.
Reply 13
3 words.
Plan
Plan
Plan
Reply 14
piece_by_piece
In the introduction I tend to make very brief points about the poems and link that to the essay title, but I don't make any in-depth analysis. However, for the conclusion I don't make any new points. I think it's best for the conclusion to talk about how you feel about the poems, and which one you think is best.

Oo thanks and is the same format you use for the novels/drama?

Thanks
Reply 15
Hey again,

I was looking through past papers for examples of exam questions and I came across this type fo questions which I have no idea how to tackle, can someone help me out please?^^;;

1)The "do you agree" style:
They give you a vague statement, e.g.: "Blah blah is the worst character".
And then ask you "do you agree or disagree", or even "how far/to what extent do you agree/disagree".
Or even worse, how does the writer convey these from the use of dramatic techniques in the play? It's like,asking his use is okay but including it in your opinions as well?
How do you answer these questions?
Dont be too dogmatic about it saying stuff like "This was a horrendous piece of writing..." or "This was the best piece of writing I have ever seen"

What it's asking is if you agree that the character is indeed the worst then provide evidence in a clear structured essay, and the same with if you don't agree. It says to what extent so provide both sides of the argument. I would suppose the 'evidence' that you have to provide is what you wrote "how does the writer convey these from the use of dramatic techniques in the play?"
Reply 17
I don't know how I've managed to do it but for the poetry, I have improved from a Grade C to A* bearing in mind that the C was at the end of year 10.
I think the best way in English Lit is to miticulously pick you quotes from the texts or poem and scrutinise every word in detail, particularly for the poem.
You should notice stylistic devices such as enjambment, assonance, consonance, alliteration etc, and say HOW the poet uses them.

For language, write a simple story that you can implement into every potential scenario, from a visitor coming to see you to a start of "then, it stopped".
For the non fiction paper, read all the types of non-fiction writing you can set your hands on from letters to newspaper articles.

Hope this helps.
xxx
Reply 18
Sorry to butt in here, but what exactly are the effects of enjambement? I understand the concept of it, but how would I explain the effects of it in an exam? Thanks :tongue:
I don't usually plan my essays, but from the sounds of it I should...
What the examination board tends to loveee is multiple interpretations; because you become open-minded and it shows your versatility...

Hope that helps!!

Latest