The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol i read it thanks.

but you know what my parents say when i tell them i'm not that interested in law, and if i'm really to go for it, it'd be for the money and the "high-flier" lifestyle? they tell me that i never know because i've never tried. which is true i guess.
prettyanxious
lol i read it thanks.

but you know what my parents say when i tell them i'm not that interested in law, and if i'm really to go for it, it'd be for the money and the "high-flier" lifestyle? they tell me that i never know because i've never tried. which is true i guess.

No, it's bull****. When I tell my parents I don't want to work in the fires of hell, they say the same thing :rolleyes: The point is, I'm sure there are some things that you actually think you might enjoy or be especially good at, without having tried. I bet the degree you did was influenced by what your parents thought would be a good idea and that obviously didn't work out so well. They SHOULD care about you being happy, not whether you are comparable to their sister's/neighbour's/friends' children. In my view it's a bad parent who tries to force his or her choice of career on his/her adult child (and no offence intended - like I said my dad is similar). What I'm getting at is that you don't owe them anything. But they DO owe you support in whatever you want to do, whatever makes you happy. They have failed you, but you can't fail them just by doing what you want to do.

Seriously, do you have any other career that you might enjoy or be good at? What is your degree in?
If you don't get a 2:1, no matter what your school grades were, the university; no one really seems to want to know you. Degree is all important - and yet, especially on this forum, it doesn't appear to be widely circulated that that is the case. It's always scwabbling about university x or university y - and if they don't go to x and study course z, then they will have no future!

If it helps at all, I know people who have got firsts from Oxbridge in law and who have failed to get anywhere at the Bar. They normally take gap years or do LLMs/BCLs and apply again. It's a tough profession, law.

I'm sure you will get somewhere good in the end. Keep fighting: if today was perfect, there would be no need for tommorow :smile:

Agreed with Julia above. Though I don't know what's wrong with the fires of hell??? It's better than cold, wet England and lawyers all come here in the end anyway, (normally in the Rottenpockets of the inferno. sometimes in the centre with sins of deceit against those who have cause to trust). I think there are other professions besides law. There are way too many lawyers.
Reply 23
Nana_Julia
No, it's bull****. When I tell my parents I don't want to work in the fires of hell...

As a future employee of satan himself, I object to that!

The OPs degree is in war studies...fires of hell appropriate, no?
Nana_Julia
No, it's bull****. When I tell my parents I don't want to work in the fires of hell, they say the same thing :rolleyes: The point is, I'm sure there are some things that you actually think you might enjoy or be especially good at, without having tried. I bet the degree you did was influenced by what your parents thought would be a good idea and that obviously didn't work out so well. They SHOULD care about you being happy, not whether you are comparable to their sister's/neighbour's/friends' children. In my view it's a bad parent who tries to force his or her choice of career on his/her adult child (and no offence intended - like I said my dad is similar). What I'm getting at is that you don't owe them anything. But they DO owe you support in whatever you want to do, whatever makes you happy. They have failed you, but you can't fail them just by doing what you want to do.

Seriously, do you have any other career that you might enjoy or be good at? What is your degree in?

My story is a long story lol. I was originally thinking of going to LSE for International Relations, but those bastards they rejected me. So the next best thing was War Studies at KCL. I got a 2:2 which was very very very disappointing because I do know that I'm actually good at writing and arguing, and like I said, the only comforting thing that I can actually put on my CV to show people I'm not actually dumb is my First in the final year dissertation.

and now- I really dont know what to do!!!! unless i get the job i'm hoping for which is as a research associate at a risk consultancy firm.

it was just heartbreaking though, to see my mom's eyes light up when i told her that i might do the GDL.

this 2:2 has honestly ruined my life. :frown:
Ishtar
As a future employee of satan himself, I object to that!

The OPs degree is in war studies...fires of hell appropriate, no?

He he, God I see how that might have been interpreted, I didn't mean solicitors=Satan's minions... although...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I just meant sometimes you just KNOW you won't enjoy something without necessarily trying it, I have never eaten a bar of soap for example, but if I listened to OP's parents' logic said bar of soap might bring me untold joy... maybe a better analogy is a food you think smells horrible - you PROBABLY won't like it as much as something you think smells nice - but someone else might thing the food you think smells horrible smells and tastes lovely, and neither of you are right, just different! But you still trust your own sense of smell in relation to that food...Okay have I dug enough now? :biggrin:
Rancorous
If you don't get a 2:1, no matter what your school grades were, the university; no one really seems to want to know you. Degree is all important - and yet, especially on this forum, it doesn't appear to be widely circulated that that is the case. It's always scwabbling about university x or university y - and if they don't go to x and study course z, then they will have no future!

If it helps at all, I know people who have got firsts from Oxbridge in law and who have failed to get anywhere at the Bar. They normally take gap years or do LLMs/BCLs and apply again. It's a tough profession, law.

I'm sure you will get somewhere good in the end. Keep fighting: if today was perfect, there would be no need for tommorow :smile:

Agreed with Julia above. Though I don't know what's wrong with the fires of hell??? It's better than cold, wet England and lawyers all come here in the end anyway. I think there are other professions besides law. There are way too many lawyers.

thanks :smile: i never knew a 2:2 could ruin someone's life just like that, but now i know. i'm glad though, that i didn't do law and get a 2:2 in that, because THAT would seriously suck. you can, of course, change careers, but if you've been looking forward to a legal career for so long, it must seriously be heartbreaking.
It's always alright in the end, and if it's not alright then it's not the end!

(Fast becoming my most overused line)
prettyanxious
thanks :smile: i never knew a 2:2 could ruin someone's life just like that, but now i know. i'm glad though, that i didn't do law and get a 2:2 in that, because THAT would seriously suck. you can, of course, change careers, but if you've been looking forward to a legal career for so long, it must seriously be heartbreaking.

Me neither. It's very much a London, maybe a British thing...well 2.2s are never a good thing, but it's more extreme here...I guess the city in particular has way more supply than demand so can afford to set criteria, especially when this allows them to get rid of a load of applications they would otherwise have to go through, time being money and all that! Strange disparity between your dissertation and your overall mark though, maybe your study habits/anxiety let you down?
Rancorous

You should write greetings cards...:biggrin:
Rancorous

lol. it's an overused line for alot of people.

also, i'm from hong kong, which means career choices are VERY limited.

Actually, you're not in such a bad situation. You must speak Cantonese which can be really helpful at some international firms. And you have opportunities back in HK. I reckon you should try to learn Mandarin as well for more opportunities. I'm learning it, I'm conversational right now but I'm getting better and it's much, much easier than Cantonese. So you will have no problems.

And if you work abroad, U of L is better known than all other UK unis other than Oxbridge. And King's is supposed to have the best rep. in a way abroad because of its association with monarchy, (which UCL doesn't have but LSE has its economics rep.). Also, there's supposed to be some confusion with King's College Cambridge which is internationally famous.
Rancorous
Actually, you're not in such a bad situation. You must speak Cantonese which can be really helpful at some international firms. And you have opportunities back in HK. I reckon you should try to learn Mandarin as well for more opportunities. I'm learning it, I'm conversational right now but I'm getting better and it's much, much easier than Cantonese. So you will have no problems.

And if you work abroad, U of L is better known than all other UK unis other than Oxbridge. And King's is supposed to have the best rep. in a way abroad because of its association with monarchy, (which UCL doesn't have but LSE has its economics rep.). Also, there's supposed to be some confusion with King's College Cambridge which is internationally famous.

i'm fluent in all three :smile: and it has only helped me land jobs in research, risk consulting, and think tanks.
Reply 33
and it has only helped me land jobs in research, risk consulting, and think tanks.

Only? You have lots of different areas to go in to! And why does being from HK limit your career choices?
prettyanxious
lol. it's an overused line for alot of people.

also, i'm from hong kong, which means career choices are VERY limited.

Why...?

Seriously, think about what I am saying because I am right about your parents! I bet you you went to Kings to do War Studies rather than to a "less reputable" uni to do Law/International Studies to please your parents? If you had a 2.1 in Law/IS from almost ANY uni in the country you would be in a better position to apply for a TC. That probably makes you kick yourself -but instead just think that doing what pleased your parents WASN'T what worked out best for you in the end. And I would be worried about someone like you signing up for an MC TC for your reasons. The MC is full of people who went in for all the wrong reasons, don't enjoy it and wind up depressed - if you didn't enjoy it you'd be trapped as you wouldn't want to disappoint your parents by leaving, and God knows how your mental health would be after a few years of that. No parent wants to have a kid with a nervous breakdown, fancy car or otherwise...
Nana_Julia
Me neither. It's very much a London, maybe a British thing...well 2.2s are never a good thing, but it's more extreme here...I guess the city in particular has way more supply than demand so can afford to set criteria, especially when this allows them to get rid of a load of applications they would otherwise have to go through, time being money and all that! Strange disparity between your dissertation and your overall mark though, maybe your study habits/anxiety let you down?

Yeah, like I said I'm much better at writing long essays than attending class. It really is my fault for skipping so much class, and it breaks my heart even more when I re-read what my professors wrote on my essays, that I'm a very good writer and that he wouldn't be worried about my ability to do very well in the course. :frown: But things happen. :s-smilie:
Nana_Julia
Why...?

Seriously, think about what I am saying because I am right about your parents! I bet you you went to Kings to do War Studies rather than to a "less reputable" uni to do Law/International Studies to please your parents? If you had a 2.1 in Law/IS from almost ANY uni in the country you would be in a better position to apply for a TC. That probably makes you kick yourself -but instead just think that doing what pleased your parents WASN'T what worked out best for you in the end. And I would be worried about someone like you signing up for an MC TC for your reasons. The MC is full of people who went in for all the wrong reasons, don't enjoy it and wind up depressed - if you didn't enjoy it you'd be trapped as you wouldn't want to disappoint your parents by leaving, and God knows how your mental health would be after a few years of that. No parent wants to have a kid with a nervous breakdown, fancy car or otherwise...

Oops, I mean career options in HK are limited. Most people go into law (I swear 85% of my friends are lawyers), banking, and most finance-related fields. The classifieds here advertise around 10 pages of finance-related jobs here, most require quantiative ability. There are very few politics/IR/policy related jobs here, unless you work for the government. And even then, it's very competitive, though not so much grade-wise, but you have to write an exam that tests your English and Chinese abilities, interview, and only 20 people get selected out of thousands of applicants. It's also very arbitrary.

Yeah and I guess you're right. Actually, I went to KCL because I personally think it has a better reputation in Asia. :s-smilie:
ssk2
Only? You have lots of different areas to go in to! And why does being from HK limit your career choices?

I mean being in HK limits my career choices. I wish things were easier, but I chose to go a different path, so I'll have to suck it up. :s-smilie:
sob.

i got this reply from a friend i e-mailed who's landed a TC after the GDL and the hk conversion course:

"hmm...i don't agree, because i know ppl who have a 2:2 who also have training contracts. to be honest, if you can show on your CV that you're capable, or if you do very well on the GDL and get a 2:1, it basically rebuts your previous 2:2. even though they do look at your degree, if you work hard on the GDL and get a 2:1, i don't think it's a problem. it would also be a good idea to do some internships this summer, whether by connections or you applying yourself. it helps you answer those questions on the application forms for TC and boosts your CV."
Reply 39
I'm sorry, we're not trying to hurt you or your feelings, but we're just going on what we know. The VAST majority (if not all) City firms specify a 2.i as being necessary and I've heard from two recruiters that they don't care what you do on your GDL or LPC as long as you pass. Also, if you're wanting to do 'summer internships' (know as vac schemes in the law world), you're too late for the City firms for this year at least and will have to wait until at least Christmas. Even then, I'm not sure you'd be successful.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited, its just the way it is...

Latest

Trending

Trending