The Student Room Group

BPP vs ULaw?

- From current BPP and ULaw students could you advise what the learning and resourses are like?

- If you've been to both, which did you prefer and why?

- Is BPP in fact better connected to Magic Circle firms or is ULaw equally connected?

Thanks!!
Original post by BlackEyedBeans
- From current BPP and ULaw students could you advise what the learning and resourses are like?

- Is BPP in fact better connected to Magic Circle firms or is ULaw equally connected?

Thanks!!

Hi @BlackEyedBeans

It very much depends what course you are studying. However, all of the resources tend to be between online tutorials, practice questions/papers and textbooks. Each week you will be required to do some prep reading and a certain number of prep tasks which are then brought to life in the classroom during workshops (meaning you have to learn the basic information and then will be taught how to apply it and be helped with bits you don't understand). After the workshops, you then will be given a consolidate task and usually some practice exam Qs to complete in your own time as a revision tool.

I have really enjoyed my time at ULaw and have found all aspects of the institution really supportive and well connected. For example, the uni constantly organises advocacy exercises, law fairs etc and panel events with local firms to help students to network and to hone their skills. I have also found that there is a lot of time dedicated to giving students interview and application help to ensure that they can progress not only in their qualifications but also into the job market.

I can't speak of BPP but I know that I have enjoyed studying at ULaw and would wholeheartedly recommend.

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂
Reply 2
I have studied with ULaw and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. I studied at their Online campus, which I completed part-time over 2 years. The online resources are exactly that as those you would expect to obtain at an in-person campus, e.g. the library materials reflect the physical campus libraries (plus you can go to a local ULaw campus to request to use the library facilities (just not their satellite campuses)).

The tutors are extremely supportive in their approach to online learning, and operate their office hours the same as the campus-based lectures. Again, I studied online so it was asynchronous meaning I worked to set deadlines each week rather than being expected to be on a Zoom or Teams lecture at a certain time/day each week, it gave me far more flexibility in how I structured my week.

The structure of the online course content, assignments and reading material was easy to access, simply to follow and broken down in very manageable chunks each week. The only thing I would say about studying online is the online learning platform can be a little slow at time - but that could just be my internet!

I chose ULaw specifically because they work with 90 of the top 100 law firms in the UK, compared to BPP who don't seem to mention or advertise how many law firms they work with. I also know that ULaw work closely with some magic circle firms like Clifford Chance, Slaughter and May and Allen & Overy in the creation of the new SQE programme ULaw have created to support applicants wanting to become a solicitor on the new SQE route (I was undecided between Solicitor and Barrister at the time so asked for all info I could).

I would highly recommend ULaw, and I have heard some things about BPP (but more so negative than good e.g. poor management).

Good luck, wherever you decide to go!
Reply 3
Original post by BlackEyedBeans

Thanks!!

Avoid BPP !!! Racist teachers, discrimination and bullying. Is a nightmare to study there. They are private so the certificate will be not valid in some countries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending