The Student Room Group

University sport (anxiety)

Sorry to ask this again on another section.

I’ve got myself into a bit of a dilemma and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I’ve played rugby for 12 years now to a good level, last year we won the NCL Premier division title which is the highest league in amateur rugby league.

I’ve just started my second year and my timetable has been really unkind, I finish at 6:30 on Tuesdays which means I can’t make it to training for any club whether it be at home or in the area my uni is in. The session is group work and if I changed my tutorial group, I wouldn’t know anyone in there and I wouldn’t have anyone to go in a group with. I can’t decide whether I should change the timetable (which I have the option to) bit then I won’t know anyone to be in a group with or whether I should keep it as it is. I need to decide by tomorrow.

If I keep it as it is, the only way I can keep playing is through the uni team. They asked me to play last year but I said no. I suffer badly with anxiety and the whole social, dress up, initiation thing isn’t really for me, a couple of beers after the game is more my thing. I’ve seen the group chat and they’re talking about ‘punishments’ and ‘fines’ for not attending the socials and I don’t like the sound of it. Plus I’m commuting this year because I’m only 45 mins away.

For anyone who’s part of them, as the year gets going, do they ease off a bit or are they compulsory. I don’t want to be ‘that one’ who doesn’t go out as often and is seen as boring but on the other hand, I don’t want to be stressing my anxiety out.

Really not sure what to do, any advice

Quick Reply

Latest