The Student Room Group

St. John’s wort??

So I started taking it on Sunday 23rd Sep, how long does it take to work? Felt no different so far just wondered if anyone knew anything??
Please don’t take St. John’s wort - there’s no evidence that it works in clinical depression, and practitioners do not recommend the use of this drug.
I’d advise to make an appointment with your GP, and seek professional help if you are having issues.
I’m just scared about going on SSRIs, I’ve heard so many bad things x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Please don’t take St. John’s wort - there’s no evidence that it works in clinical depression, and practitioners do not recommend the use of this drug.
I’d advise to make an appointment with your GP, and seek professional help if you are having issues.

Original post by brad_j_1997

Ive been taking fluoxetine for a few months, and honestly apart from the occassional side effects (insomnia, nausea, sleepiness etc.) they work for me, and I'm grateful to have them prescribed.
Everyone will react differently to medication; I would be weary of what you have heard, or read about SSRIs - for the majority, they are a life saver.
You may find that therapy will benefit you more than medication, or a combination will be sufficient.
Ive been taking fluoxetine for a few months, and honestly apart from the occassional side effects (insomnia, nausea, sleepiness etc.) they work for me, and I'm grateful to have them prescribed.
Everyone will react differently to medication; I would be weary of what you have heard, or read about SSRIs - for the majority, they are a life saver.
You may find that therapy will benefit you more than medication, or a combination will be sufficient.

What ways do you feel better? Thanks for the reply x
Reply 6
I have taken it and it works. OK, it's a practically homeopathic does, but it's an SSRI like any other AD. It has helped me in the past, even if it was only a placebo effect.

However, you shouldn't take it if you should be taking something else.

Both of these statements are untrue.

My own GP recommended it to me when I said I didn't want to take ADs.

I found that they only had a very mild effect, but for me that was enough, it was all I needed. It takes the edge off and allows you to function that little bit better.

It might not work for everyone, but then again nor do ADs.

Lots of people say that any effect is likely to be placebo, but so what? I don't actually care why I feel better, so long as I do.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Both of these statements are untrue.

My own GP recommended it to me when I said I didn't want to take ADs.

St John's Wort interacts with loads of medications.

It is used a lot more in America, Germany and Italy and probably some other countries with more herbal traditions.

I wouldn't personally take it but if you're not on any other medications and it's worked for you then great.
Original post by marinade
St John's Wort interacts with loads of medications.

It is used a lot more in America, Germany and Italy and probably some other countries with more herbal traditions.

I wouldn't personally take it but if you're not on any other medications and it's worked for you then great.

Yes I know that. You should of course already read the label of anything you take to check interactions - but that goes for anything you take, and should be common sense.

For example, I'm now on the pill so can no longer take it, as it can make it less effective. My GP informed me of this, though.

Quick Reply

Latest