The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New University - February 2019 Nursing applicants

Hi Everyone

If you're joining us in February 2019 for one of our nursing courses based at our Uxbridge Campus, you can use this thread to meet others that will be starting with you, or to ask any questions you may have about starting at Bucks.

We'd love to get to know you a little better too - here's a few questions to get you started!

Where are you from?

What are you most looking forward to about starting uni?

Anything you’re not looking forward to or worried about starting uni?

Have you been to an open day at Bucks or are you planning to?

We look forward to meeting you soon!

Laura
Original post by Bucks New University
Hi Everyone

If you're joining us in February 2019 for one of our nursing courses based at our Uxbridge Campus, you can use this thread to meet others that will be starting with you, or to ask any questions you may have about starting at Bucks.

We'd love to get to know you a little better too - here's a few questions to get you started!

Where are you from?

What are you most looking forward to about starting uni?

Anything you’re not looking forward to or worried about starting uni?

Have you been to an open day at Bucks or are you planning to?

We look forward to meeting you soon!

Laura

Hi im starting Childrens Nursing in Feb. Im from Buckinghamshire and I'm really looking forward to starting and getting to know my fellow students. Can anyone suggest any books a can add to my christmas list or equipment that is needed. Many thanks
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Original post by AngEllis1
Hi im starting Childrens Nursing in Feb. Im from Buckinghamshire and I'm really looking forward to starting and getting to know my fellow students. Can anyone suggest any books a can add to my christmas list or equipment that is needed. Many thanks

Hi @AngEllis1

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your place to study with us!

I've just sent over a message to the course leader to check whether there's any books or equipment that you can get sorted before you start with us! I'll let you know once I've heard back from them.

In the meantime do let me know if there's any other questions you have about studying at Bucks!

Laura
Hi @AngEllis1

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your place to study with us!

I've just sent over a message to the course leader to check whether there's any books or equipment that you can get sorted before you start with us! I'll let you know once I've heard back from them.

In the meantime do let me know if there's any other questions you have about studying at Bucks!

Laura

Fab thank you. i have loads of questions firstly i know that the course is devided into two but how do the holidays break up do we work christmas do we have any holiday in the summer and easter like other courses, how does all this work i only have experience of what my daughters uni does (shes 2nd year Criminology ) I hope this makes sense thanks
Fab thank you. i have loads of questions firstly i know that the course is devided into two but how do the holidays break up do we work christmas do we have any holiday in the summer and easter like other courses, how does all this work i only have experience of what my daughters uni does (shes 2nd year Criminology ) I hope this makes sense thanks

Hi @AngEllis1 The holiday structure for child nursing is as follows:

2 week vacation for Easter, from 15th -28th April

3 week Summer vacation from 10th-28th June

2 week Christmas vacation

Placements will start from the 5th August for 18 weeks.

I hope this helps!
Katriona
Hi @AngEllis1 The holiday structure for child nursing is as follows:

2 week vacation for Easter, from 15th -28th April

3 week Summer vacation from 10th-28th June

2 week Christmas vacation

Placements will start from the 5th August for 18 weeks.

I hope this helps!
Katriona

Thanks but now im really confused I was under the impression that we did 6 months ( Feb - Sept ) in uni and then 6months placement ( Sept - Feb ) are the 18 weeks spreed out over the 6 months or is in one block with christmas break in the middle as 18 weeks from August only takes me up to November and if it is spreed out from August to Feb what do we do in the gaps is this directed self study time or do we go back into uni thanks i hope this is clear im just trying to get my head round timeings as im sorting my child care for my placement time thanks

Hi @AngEllis1 I've just heard back from the course leader about any books that might be useful, this is what she has suggested:

The purchase of books is not entirely necessary due to our library resources, yet if I was to recommend a couple of books it would be the following two:
Boore, J., Cook, N. & Shepherd, A. (2016) Essentials of anatomy and physiology for nursing practice. London: Sage. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-Anatomy-Physiology-Nursing-Practice/dp/1473938465)
Price, J. & McAlinden. J. (eds.) (2018) Essentials of nursing children and young people. London: Sage. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-Nursing-Children-Young-People/dp/1473964857/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1542634335&sr=1-1&keywords=Price+essentials+of+childrens+nursing)

They are both very good books and will be useful over the full 3 years of their training and also as a qualified nurse!

I'm currently finding out the answer to your question about the course structure and will get back to you as soon as possible!
Katriona
Thanks but now im really confused I was under the impression that we did 6 months ( Feb - Sept ) in uni and then 6months placement ( Sept - Feb ) are the 18 weeks spreed out over the 6 months or is in one block with christmas break in the middle as 18 weeks from August only takes me up to November and if it is spreed out from August to Feb what do we do in the gaps is this directed self study time or do we go back into uni thanks i hope this is clear im just trying to get my head round timeings as im sorting my child care for my placement time thanks

Hi @AngEllis1

One of the other course leads has also suggested a book for you that would be useful in both year one and two.

Debell, D. (2016) (ed) (2nd Edition) Public Health for Children. New York, USA: CRC Press.

I know my colleage Katriona has been in touch with you about timetables, but do let either of us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Laura
Hi @AngEllis1

One of the other course leads has also suggested a book for you that would be useful in both year one and two.

Debell, D. (2016) (ed) (2nd Edition) Public Health for Children. New York, USA: CRC Press.

I know my colleage Katriona has been in touch with you about timetables, but do let either of us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Laura

Thank you so much for al the help it has really helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending