The Student Room Group

Am I smart enough even to do Dentistry?

Hi Guys I just wanna say that am I even smart enough. I really want to Dentistry but I got average GCSE grades and I have been rejected in all hospitals so I just went to do volunteering at British Heart Foundation.
Am I even capable of doing Dentistry.
Or am I just a dummy
Also How do get work experience for GDP
I know that is a requirement.
I also am in my first year (doing AS Maths Chemistry and Biology)
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes... they practice on pigs. Ever seen a pig with toothache?
Original post by Vinny C
Yes... they practice on pigs. Ever seen a pig with toothache?

I didn't get what you meant
You NEED experience in any dental setting - ring up as many dentists as you can until you get somewhere
Reply 4
Original post by Ruhab Dabeer
I didn't get what you meant

Trainee dentists practice on pigs. They are omnivores so teeth very similar to ours.
Original post by Vinny C
Trainee dentists practice on pigs. They are omnivores so teeth very similar to ours.

Umm Okay
But how does that relate to my enquiry
Original post by eternalhinch
You NEED experience in any dental setting - ring up as many dentists as you can until you get somewhere

But the thing is most of the dental practices don't even do work experience offers and one of them said they don't do till next year
Reply 7
If you can stare into the mouth of a sedated pig... or, well... want the rest?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
If you can stare into the mouth of a sedated pig...

Dude I can stare into even the most disgusting thing.
Original post by Vinny C
If you can stare into the mouth of a sedated pig... or, well... want the rest?

Go ahead I wanna hear
Go ahead I wanna hear

Or a pig's head minus the body, plenty at the abattoir You need guts to be a dentist. Pigs live maybe 12 yrs. So staring into a mouth with 50 yrs decay can be... omg... stomach churning!
Go ahead I wanna hear

They subject you to decapitated pigs to harden you up.
Original post by Vinny C
Or a pig's head minus the body, plenty at the abattoir You need guts to be a dentist. Pigs live maybe 12 yrs. So staring into a mouth with 50 yrs decay can be... omg... stomach churning!

Dude I can stare into even the most disgusting thing.

Guts, decay and gore... takes about 3 months to harden and half pass out.
(edited 5 years ago)
But the thing is most of the dental practices don't even do work experience offers and one of them said they don't do till next year

You are tearing pieces out of someone's mouth, ffs.
(edited 5 years ago)

I get it it’s difficult but get anyone you know who can help to get you experience, continue ringing around even if the dentist is a bit far out and ask you’re own dentist for advice on how to get experience
Original post by Vinny C

I appreciate your telling me that it is a tough job
However, I could easily withstand Mortal Kombat X fatalitites and gory stuff. I understand that people pass out due to how putrid it is
But you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it
And if I get the job of dentistry (hopefully) then I can withstand anything if even it is the goriest of them all
For me getting the actual job would the toughest thing for me
Plus can I ask you a important question?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by eternalhinch
I get it it’s difficult but get anyone you know who can help to get you experience, continue ringing around even if the dentist is a bit far out and ask you’re own dentist for advice on how to get experience

How to find and write my CV for dental work experience.
Hey, look you gotta start doubting yourself. Only reason you aren't good enough for dentistry is because you believe you are not. If it's something you want to do, you're willing to put in the work and effort and you believe in yourself than who's to say you're not smart enough? Start changing your thoughts and the way you carry yourself. Every time a negative thought comes into your mind such as "I'm not smart enough", change it to " I am smart enough". Ignore those who make you feel like you can't do something, negative people do you no good. Keep trying with the work experience, out of all the places you contact it takes only one to say yes. Best of luck to you
Original post by zuzanak16
Hey, look you gotta start doubting yourself. Only reason you aren't good enough for dentistry is because you believe you are not. If it's something you want to do, you're willing to put in the work and effort and you believe in yourself than who's to say you're not smart enough? Start changing your thoughts and the way you carry yourself. Every time a negative thought comes into your mind such as "I'm not smart enough", change it to " I am smart enough". Ignore those who make you feel like you can't do something, negative people do you no good. Keep trying with the work experience, out of all the places you contact it takes only one to say yes. Best of luck to you

Very Inspirational m8 Thanks
Hopefully I can get there
To me getting into Dentistry is the toughest part
I guess the rest should be relatively relaxing
(edited 5 years ago)
I appreciate your telling me that it is a tough job
However, I could easily withstand Mortal Kombat X fatalitites and gory stuff. I understand that people pass out due to how putrid it is
But you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it
And if I get the job of dentistry (hopefully) then I can withstand anything if even it is the goriest of them all
For me getting the actual job would the toughest thing for me
Plus can I ask you a important question?

Good luck... gore irl life is not the same as IT gore. I got thru it by believing I was saving lives then it stopped disturbing me.

Quick Reply

Latest