The Student Room Group

I want to study medicine but I don't think I'm smart enough

I'm currently in year 12 studying biology chemistry history and RS, I did well in my GCSEs by getting 6 A stars and As but now at AS level I'm usually getting a D grade in bio and chem. Obviously I wasn't expecting amazing grades from the beginning but comparing my grades to some of the smarter ppl in my class, I think I'm on the lower end of things. I did manage a B in one of my biology tests with a very small amount of revision and I do really well in my chemistry homework so maybe I should just be a bit more confident? I'm doing okay at history and quite good at RS but I've looked at courses I can do with them and I'm not rlly interested. My target grades are also both Bs in bio and chem. I'm just worrying now bc I know I need to decide on something to do with my life and also need to get work experience sorted if I do choose medicine in the end. I think I am capable of getting As but A-levels are a lot more about effort, so I am planning on getting on the revision grind soon. Do I just revise loads and be more optimistic about medicine/dentistry or think of something else? My (doctor and dentist) parents and friends all say I should go for it and that I can do it. Any advice is appreciated!
Original post by nasty-repeat
I'm currently in year 12 studying biology chemistry history and RS, I did well in my GCSEs by getting 6 A stars and As but now at AS level I'm usually getting a D grade in bio and chem. Obviously I wasn't expecting amazing grades from the beginning but comparing my grades to some of the smarter ppl in my class, I think I'm on the lower end of things. I did manage a B in one of my biology tests with a very small amount of revision and I do really well in my chemistry homework so maybe I should just be a bit more confident? I'm doing okay at history and quite good at RS but I've looked at courses I can do with them and I'm not rlly interested. My target grades are also both Bs in bio and chem. I'm just worrying now bc I know I need to decide on something to do with my life and also need to get work experience sorted if I do choose medicine in the end. I think I am capable of getting As but A-levels are a lot more about effort, so I am planning on getting on the revision grind soon. Do I just revise loads and be more optimistic about medicine/dentistry or think of something else? My (doctor and dentist) parents and friends all say I should go for it and that I can do it. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi @nasty-repeat !

First off I want to say that of course you are smart enough to study medicine! I understand though it is a lot of work to get into but if it is what you want to do and you are passionate about it then I have no doubt you can get there. Your GCSE's are amazing, A-Levels can be a lot more challenging and can take some time to get used to. I would also say that it might feel like you have to make all the big decisions now but there really are always options for getting into courses and career paths at any point in life so try not to put too much pressure on yourself to have it all figured out right now!

My advice would be to figure out what works best for you in revising your topics, look at past papers, go to your teachers if you feel you need extra support and to be confident that you are capable of doing whatever you aim to do.

I really hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck!! :smile:

Emily
Second Year Creative Writing Student
Reply 2
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @nasty-repeat !

First off I want to say that of course you are smart enough to study medicine! I understand though it is a lot of work to get into but if it is what you want to do and you are passionate about it then I have no doubt you can get there. Your GCSE's are amazing, A-Levels can be a lot more challenging and can take some time to get used to. I would also say that it might feel like you have to make all the big decisions now but there really are always options for getting into courses and career paths at any point in life so try not to put too much pressure on yourself to have it all figured out right now!

My advice would be to figure out what works best for you in revising your topics, look at past papers, go to your teachers if you feel you need extra support and to be confident that you are capable of doing whatever you aim to do.

I really hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck!! :smile:

Emily
Second Year Creative Writing Student

Thank you so much! This is just what I needed to hear, I'll take your advice and I really appreciate it. Best of luck to you too gal
Reply 3
Original post by nasty-repeat

I would defo try to get some work experience in a healthcare setting - it might help you figure out if it’s definitely a career you want to go into (last thing u want is to spend 5 years at dental/med school just to figure out it’s not for u lol) bc there’s always gonna be pros and cons, so just figure out if it’s suited to you. For me, I really like how dentistry was super hands on (as someone who loves playing instruments) and how you get to work with a dental nurse as opposed to working on your own. In terms of your grades, u can always apply to foundation courses which typically have lower grade requirements, so I don’t think u need to worry too much about your grades!! Also this is coming from someone who is in year 13 and hasn’t got any offers yet lol so take this advice with a pinch of salt. But I hope this helps!! It’s so stressful having to make these decisions xx
Reply 4
Original post by farah_05
I would defo try to get some work experience in a healthcare setting - it might help you figure out if it’s definitely a career you want to go into (last thing u want is to spend 5 years at dental/med school just to figure out it’s not for u lol) bc there’s always gonna be pros and cons, so just figure out if it’s suited to you. For me, I really like how dentistry was super hands on (as someone who loves playing instruments) and how you get to work with a dental nurse as opposed to working on your own. In terms of your grades, u can always apply to foundation courses which typically have lower grade requirements, so I don’t think u need to worry too much about your grades!! Also this is coming from someone who is in year 13 and hasn’t got any offers yet lol so take this advice with a pinch of salt. But I hope this helps!! It’s so stressful having to make these decisions xx

Thank you! Yeah I’ll defo try to get work experience sorted out soon, it should help in deciding like you said. Hope u get an offer soon and good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest