The Student Room Group

parents forcing me into dentistry - update

hi everyone. 10 months ago i posted about how my indian parents are forcing me into dentistry bc they want me to have a secure future after immigrating here and basically living in poverty but i want to go into politics (i'll attach evidence that it was my thread). i stopped replying on the thread bc everyone was being horrible and telling me 'im stealing peoples places' and that i dont have passion and honestly i feel like it was just a lot of angry anxious wannabe dental students that couldn't handle the fact that someone might be better than them but the thread is closed now for some reason so I can't even respond in it.

so for the update:
I applied to do dentistry at Kings, bristol, cardiff and newcastle and my fifth option was politics at LSE. I got interviews from all of them (not lse) and offers from all as well. i firmed kings a week ago as I got that offer quite late.

so you can all hate me if you want. you can say i did the wrong thing or i'm gonna regret it or whatever but a rude awakening is that most people do careers for the money. bankers do it for the money and people in healthcare do too although they'll walk into the application process with their 'i want to help people' waffle and convince themselves they're not. i felt so inferior to other dental applicants because of this but honestly i've come to a point where i know that most of those applicants probably had mum and dad put them into private school and pay for dental applicant courses and work experience etc. so being able to choose a job for the passion is honestly a privilege. i never had that privilege. since posting the original post, the cost of living crisis has only gotten worse and inflation has ruined my family- i don't even eat three meals on most days so i'm not going to let any self-righteous person tell me otherwise. i'm smart enough to go into a route i want so i will absolutely pick the one that will help me be financially comfortable for once in my life.

thank you to people that supported my decision and understood where i was coming from and to the ones that didn't, sorry but thanks for your input anyways
Reply 1
here's the proof that the OP was my thread.
also another bit i wanted to add was that everyone was certain that my lack of passion would show in the interviews but honestly it wasn't so bad- i just did research on the profession and these answers came across more factual so they knew that i knew my stuff about the dental team and GDC and bands etc and the others bits- i think my passion for people really showed across. and i also spoke about how i come from a working class family and would love to support others with NHS and pro bono work etc.
Reply 2
Reply 3
the proof won't post but it's the notification saying 'New quote to your anonymous thread...' if you don't believe it's me then thats a different thing i guess lmao
Reply 5
Well done and good for you OP, do what’s right for you and what will improve your financial position. You are 100% right for this and I really don’t get why people were underestimating the importance of money and saying that you shouldn’t apply because ‘other people deserve it’ because as your dentistry offers show that if other people deserved it then they would have got a place🤷*♀️
Reply 6
Fair enough, if your purpose of studying Dentistry is for a financially stable job, and this is what you're expecting off of it then it will do the job.
Enjoy King's, their Dental hospital is good.
Reply 7
yeah that's fair. i completely get where you're coming from and i think if that's your decision everyone should accept it. like someone else said, if someone else deserved that place more than you they would've got it. now, you just have to look ahead. i just wished there was some way you could've pursued what you actually enjoyed rather than something that you only somewhat enjoy for the financial security - the immigrant parent guilt is very much real.

it was a tough decision. i do hope that everything works out for you
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
F**k everyone else. You got offers from an extremely competitive course at top universities, and they are mad. Your reason is valid. People pretending that everyone going into dentistry, medicine, etc, are all doing it for completely altruistic reasons are lying.

I hope the course surprises you and you come to love it.
Reply 9
genuinely good for you bro, im glad to see you doing well even if you had doubts
congrats!!
Original post by Anonymous #1
also another bit i wanted to add was that everyone was certain that my lack of passion would show in the interviews but honestly it wasn't so bad- i just did research on the profession and these answers came across more factual so they knew that i knew my stuff about the dental team and GDC and bands etc and the others bits- i think my passion for people really showed across. and i also spoke about how i come from a working class family and would love to support others with NHS and pro bono work etc.

how did you go about your research if you don’t mind me asking? I know you can’t say what happened during the interviews but did you make pre-interview notes that you would share?
Original post by splitmilk
how did you go about your research if you don’t mind me asking? I know you can’t say what happened during the interviews but did you make pre-interview notes that you would share?

I’m pretty sure they won’t reply as was around a year ago. Are you asking for dent? If for medicine I can give advice. I got 3 interviews and passed them all so
Now have 3 offers and intending to go to Leicester
Original post by Anonymous_7871
I’m pretty sure they won’t reply as was around a year ago. Are you asking for dent? If for medicine I can give advice. I got 3 interviews and passed them all so
Now have 3 offers and intending to go to Leicester

oh wow I didn’t even notice that’s my bad 💀 yeah I’m asking for dent but thank you for offering anyway!! also congrats 3 med offers is insanely impressive :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending