The Student Room Group

Anyone ever feel lonely even though you're not?

I have friends, a girlfriend, college and a loving family and yet I can't help but just feel lonely and miserable all the time. I can spend the day surrounded by good friends and people I love but as soon as I get home it just feels like that never happened. I'm at college three days a week and my girlfriend is only in for one of those days and the other days she works or has college, and most of my other friends are just really busy at the moment. I also get really paranoid that my friends and even my girlfriend hate me, even though that can't be true because they always show me love and support when i'm around them. I honestly don't know what's going on with me. I think I just need more people to talk to. I don't know.
I have a very similar situation to you I feel like i am constantly feeling alone and sad even though i have amazing family and friends. My former boyfriend recently dumped me pretty much without warning and that has made me feel 10x worse even though we are still good friends. I honestly believe im depressed but i dont know. This is just brief to let you know that there are similar people out there and will / can help you.
Reply 2
I sometimes feel a bit like this. I think that's there are lots of reasons you could feel this way. You might feel this way because you're putting on a metaphorical mask everyday, trying to act a certain way which is attracting people that deep down, you don't connect with, so you feel lonely because no one really knows what you're like. It might be because you're depressed. It might be because you don't like being by yourself. However I would definitely recommend talking to someone about this be it a parent, a friend or a councillor. They will probably a have better explanations and advice than anyone on TSR!! Good luck :smile:
Think this is what is known as existential lonliness. You could have a thousand girlfriends, friends, money, the loneliness would still persist. At least you get some reprieve in that it doesn't seem to hit you when you're with people, but rather when you get home. I don't think trying to drown it out by talking to more people would help. Perhaps deepen the connections you already have with the people in your life. Can you talk to them about this type of lonliness? If not, then that shows you could develop the relationship some more. Or perhaps you need to spend some more time with yourself, alone. Find ways in which you can enjoy your solitude. I can relate to the paranoia though. Someone could be with me for fifty years and I'd have to keep checking whether or not they secretly hate me.

Quick Reply

Latest