The Student Room Group

World Mental Health Day: How to keep yourself occupied/not feeling lonely

How to keep yourself occupied/from feeling lonely
Here are a few tips that you may not have thought of that may be useful, feel free to share your own too!

This thread is a part of the World Mental Health Day (10th October)
You can read the headlining TSR article about it here for more information :smile:

wmhd.png

Generally
Make yourself comfortable, tidy your room, make it a comfort space
Make to do lists, be organised, have things to do so you don't have to search for them
Rekindle hobbies of yours, whether it be art, drawing, music, films, a TV show, busy yourself with regaining the joy once found from it!
Be kind to yourself, be positive. Think positively about situations.
Once such way of thinking in this way is to organise yourself with a calendar, e.g this one is called "Optimistic October" :

Attachment not found

At University
Join societies that you feel you will really enjoy and engage with, not that your friends like :nah:
Go to events that you like the sound of! :woo:
Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone or go without friends to any of the above :smile:
If you're feeling lonely, try to make an effort to distract yourself with any of the above in order to meet new people and engage with activities :penguinhug:
Don't be afraid to reach out to people! Often talking to someone about how you feel is a really great way of starting to feel a bit better about the situation at hand.
If you're feeling homesick, make your room more homely, contact a family member and be kind to yourself, everyone has days like this sometimes! :hugs:
If you miss someone, make a date and arrange to meet at a certain date and have this to look forward to, to drive you :yep:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

How to keep yourself occupied/from feeling lonely
Here are a few tips that you may not have thought of that may be useful, feel free to share your own too!

This thread is a part of the World Mental Health Day (10th October)
You can read the headlining TSR article about it here for more information :smile:

wmhd.png

Generally
Make yourself comfortable, tidy your room, make it a comfort space
Make to do lists, be organised, have things to do so you don't have to search for them
Rekindle hobbies of yours, whether it be art, drawing, music, films, a TV show, busy yourself with regaining the joy once found from it!
Be kind to yourself, be positive. Think positively about situations.
Once such way of thinking in this way is to organise yourself with a calendar, e.g this one is called "Optimistic October" :

Attachment not found

At University
Join societies that you feel you will really enjoy and engage with, not that your friends like :nah:
Go to events that you like the sound of! :woo:
Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone or go without friends to any of the above :smile:
If you're feeling lonely, try to make an effort to distract yourself with any of the above in order to meet new people and engage with activities :penguinhug:
Don't be afraid to reach out to people! Often talking to someone about how you feel is a really great way of starting to feel a bit better about the situation at hand.
If you're feeling homesick, make your room more homely, contact a family member and be kind to yourself, everyone has days like this sometimes! :hugs:
If you miss someone, make a date and arrange to meet at a certain date and have this to look forward to, to drive you :yep:

This was a very useful post! Thank you.
Great post. Especially like the point about reaching out to people. When I'm feeling low or depressed or lonely, I try to let people know how I'm feeling by doing a Facebook post about it. It may seem attention-seeking to some but many of my friends have commented on how helpful they find those posts, because it acts as a reminder to get in touch and check in on me :yes:
good post

but I'm unable to feel lonely so yea

maybe if I keep up staying alone it'll get to me so only 1 way to find out amirite?
Original post by Fakbarpoor
This was a very useful post! Thank you.

aw I am so glad you found it useful :penguinhug:
hope you're having a good day :heart: if you have any of your own tips, feel free to mention them :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Great post. Especially like the point about reaching out to people. When I'm feeling low or depressed or lonely, I try to let people know how I'm feeling by doing a Facebook post about it. It may seem attention-seeking to some but many of my friends have commented on how helpful they find those posts, because it acts as a reminder to get in touch and check in on me :yes:

that's very good :cube:
I don't really use the posting side of facebook but I do more so with messaging
if I am not feeling great usually I'll tell someone that it's not been a great day and they end up pressing me on what's up etc. which usually helps get it off my chest :hugs:

Original post by TheTroll73
good post

but I'm unable to feel lonely so yea

maybe if I keep up staying alone it'll get to me so only 1 way to find out amirite?

aw thanks :hugs:

unable to feel lonely? :erm:
:jumphug: hope you are alright <3 we are all here for you!
Typing/writing.
Thank You. A very thoughtful post.
Original post by ManicDrBeatles
Thank You. A very thoughtful post.

you are more than welcome :hugs: really hoping you are having a great day !
Reply 8
Very good post!
My only friend is my partner. He's the one who is always there when I need the most. Unfortunately I don't have very few friends, although I would like some more. I dunno, maybe I piss people off without realising.
Original post by Maris81
Very good post!
My only friend is my partner. He's the one who is always there when I need the most. Unfortunately I don't have very few friends, although I would like some more. I dunno, maybe I piss people off without realising.

:jumphug: Glad you liked it :smile:
My best friend is my partner :hugs: I feel the same as you.
Forgive me as I am not sure as to your age or your situation, but maybe you've just not met the right group of people that you click with yet.
Sometimes this takes time, I'm fortunate enough, at University, to have found people with the same interests and passions in life and I know live in a house with them but before then I only really had 1-2 friends that I really considered dear enough to be close to.
It's hard but you can do it :cube: Remember to do what you enjoy, follow your interests and don't be afraid to talk to people and get to know them :yep:
Reply 10
Well...I am very loyal with people but I struggle to make close friends as I am always worrying of not being accepted in the group. It is silly I know but am actually getting better xx...O post by CheeseIsVeg):jumphug: Glad you liked it :smile:
My best friend is my partner :hugs: I feel the same as you.
Forgive me as I am not sure as to your age or your situation, but maybe you've just not met the right group of people that you click with yet.
Sometimes this takes time, I'm fortunate enough, at University, to have found people with the same interests and passions in life and I know live in a house with them but before then I only really had 1-2 friends that I really considered dear enough to be close to.
It's hard but you can do it :cube: Remember to do what you enjoy, follow your interests and don't be afraid to talk to people and get to know them :yep:
One can avoid being lonely by listening to cool jams and interacting with friends or if you are not with your friends learn to be social so that you can socilalise with everyone

Quick Reply

Latest