The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cas22
For what is meant to be a widening access scheme this course has some very stringent entry requirements. BBB at A level in specific subjects and a 2.1 degree in one of the few listed degrees. In addition to meeting Sheffields specific widening access criteria and being ranked for interview with UKCAT results. This is tougher than most GEM programmes.

To be fair BBB at A level and at least a 2:1 in a life sciences degree is quite common among GEM. Look at the likes of imperial and the such. And ranking by UKCAT is how every ukcat GEM bar Barts effectively function.
Original post by Jin3011
Hey bud!

It certainly is a lot of criteria to fulfull, but the availability of this particular course has been an absolute godsend of an opportunity for myself and fits my profile perfectly! :h: I come from a really poor background and believe I met around 5 of their WP criteria! They require high academic attainment in very specific degrees (that have taught extensive anatomy and physiology) since phase 1 of the medical course will be bypassed for A101. And uni's all need some way or another of weeding out applicants to get the best XD

But I do agree in that it certainly is not your conventional widening access scheme as you would expect for many 5-year courses.

Are you a current medical student?

This is very true! I believe this is my best opportunity to get into med school, I meet 4 of the WP requirements. Luckily my A levels were solid too :smile:
Original post by Jin3011
This is so true. Going to uni was the only time in years that I had the oppertunity to sleep in a real bed and not on a sofa. So definitely made living, and therefore studying, more easier and comfortable! :h:

Dude! I might have had an old bunk bed with an ancient mattress that I had to put a load of blankets on top of to stop the springs from stabbing me, but I at least had my own bed! The fact that you managed to do well despite sofa surfing is pretty remarkable. That kind of resilience is definitely going to serve you well.
Reply 83
I appreciate you for saying that! We've all seen and endured struggle through different means, but the fact that we've reached this far is testemant to all of our hard work. We should definitely all be proud of ourselves! :h:

And yess! I've learnt more recently of the struggle of a spring-stabbing bed lol. I had to make sure I was sleeping in a certain orientation to avoid waking up full of pain lol.
Original post by Jin3011
I appreciate you for saying that! We've all seen and endured struggle through different means, but the fact that we've reached this far is testemant to all of our hard work. We should definitely all be proud of ourselves! :h:

And yess! I've learnt more recently of the struggle of a spring-stabbing bed lol. I had to make sure I was sleeping in a certain orientation to avoid waking up full of pain lol.

When I got married I bought a king size four-poster bed and a new mattress with pocket springs and memory foam from eBay! Heck yeah!

Getting used to being poor again is going to be interesting haha.
Reply 85
Original post by BoilingMarmalade
x

"a king size four-poster bed and a new mattress with pocket springs and memory foam" sounds like heaven! :coma:

Agreed! The prospect of going from a decent salary to nothing once again is scary lol.
Reply 86
Original post by ShefMedAdmission
Hello all

I cannot tell you how many people I am going to invite to interview, because I do not yet know. I have provisionally set aside 60-100 interview slots for A101, but whether these will all be used or not, and whether we will need to rank by UKCAT score or not, I do not yet know. I do not know yet how many offers I am going to make for A101 - that is something we will work out in February. The aim will be to fill the 15 places without going over and the precise number we make will in part depend on whether any of those applicants we want to make offers to have asked to defer their entry.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions.

Hi Julian, hope you're well!

Will the GEM candidates you've selected to attend MMI's be notified this week or next? :h:
Original post by Jin3011
Hi Julian, hope you're well!

Will the GEM candidates you've selected to attend MMI's be notified this week or next? :h:

I thought they didn't get the UKCAT results until 7th? Also, I've been given until the end of this week to supply the rest of my grade predictions... I've written and submitted 7 essays to my tutors in the past week so hopefully they can get on with that now.
Reply 88
Original post by BoilingMarmalade
I thought they didn't get the UKCAT results until 7th? Also, I've been given until the end of this week to supply the rest of my grade predictions... I've written and submitted 7 essays to my tutors in the past week so hopefully they can get on with that now.

Sheffeld received UKCAT scores last week and UKCAT's twitter confirmed that all uni's will have received scores by today! :afraid:

And wow, you've certainly been busy :O. I have my fingers crossed for you!

I've taken all my annual leave for this year for work expereince and UKCAT prep so just trying to plan ahead for potential interviews so that I can work around my current commitments. I have my next on-call shifts in late November and early December so that's gona be a pain to rearrange in short notice!
(edited 5 years ago)
Just received an email to declare any criminal convictions because there was a technical error which prevented me from entering this before I sent my application off. Anyone else receive this email?
Reply 90
Original post by ben444
Just received an email to declare any criminal convictions because there was a technical error which prevented me from entering this before I sent my application off. Anyone else receive this email?

Yeah I've just submitted it, pretty sure I'd declared I didn't have any already though but maybe not
Original post by manny_oa
Yeah I've just submitted it, pretty sure I'd declared I didn't have any already though but maybe not

I thought I had too. I almost got tricked because you usually tick it and then I ticked the one they sent but luckily read that you were only meant to tick IF you HAVE convictions hahaha
Reply 92
Original post by ben444
I thought I had too. I almost got tricked because you usually tick it and then I ticked the one they sent but luckily read that you were only meant to tick IF you HAVE convictions hahaha

I did the exact same thing! It was only during the 'not a human' check that I thought I should double-check. Glad I wasn't alone in this
Reply 93
I think Sheffield will be sending out interview invites next week! :eek: I may be wrong, but I'd written "Sheffield interview invite week" in my diary weeks ago lol
(edited 5 years ago)
They should hopefully have all my predicted grades by tomorrow, which will hopefully result in my application being moved from the "unsure" pile to the "OK" pile. Then I can stop worrying about that and start worrying about meeting the UKCAT cut off instead!
Reply 95
Original post by Jin3011
I think Sheffield will be sending out interview invites next week! :eek: I may be wrong, but I'd written "Sheffield interview invite week" in my diary weeks ago lol

Yeah they'd said they aim to send out invites 14th-16th so hopefully they've kept on target
Hello all

Oooph. Well, it has been a busy week so far. I have been scrutinising your applications again alongside your UKCAT scores.

I have made my decisions, and I am now conducting my final double-checks. Your wait will be over soon. We are therefore on track to start sending out the interview invites next week as planned. When we start sending out invites we will update our webpage with the UKCAT cut points and I will update you here as well (my update will be on the evening of the first day invites go out). I'll keep you updated and will also let you know when we have finished sending them out.

In the event that we consider that you do not meet all of the requirements (Academic, UKCAT and Widening Participation) for an invite to an interview for A101 (graduate entry) we will invite you for an interview for the A100 programme if you meet the minimum academic and UKCAT requirements and meet the UKCAT cut point for A100. If that is the case we will make it clear in the the invite email.

When we start sending out invites next week the team will go as fast as they can, but please note that these invites are sent out one at a time (as they contain bespoke information regarding dates and times). This means that they won't necessarily all go out on the same day.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
Reply 97
Brilliant news! :h: @ShefMedAdmission

Just wanted to ask if UKCAT ranking has taken place for A101?
Reply 98
Original post by ShefMedAdmission
Hello all

Oooph. Well, it has been a busy week so far. I have been scrutinising your applications again alongside your UKCAT scores.

I have made my decisions, and I am now conducting my final double-checks. Your wait will be over soon. We are therefore on track to start sending out the interview invites next week as planned. When we start sending out invites we will update our webpage with the UKCAT cut points and I will update you here as well (my update will be on the evening of the first day invites go out). I'll keep you updated and will also let you know when we have finished sending them out.

In the event that we consider that you do not meet all of the requirements (Academic, UKCAT and Widening Participation) for an invite to an interview for A101 (graduate entry) we will invite you for an interview for the A100 programme if you meet the minimum academic and UKCAT requirements and meet the UKCAT cut point for A100. If that is the case we will make it clear in the the invite email.

When we start sending out invites next week the team will go as fast as they can, but please note that these invites are sent out one at a time (as they contain bespoke information regarding dates and times). This means that they won't necessarily all go out on the same day.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions

So any idea's how applicants from poorer backgrounds who meet the criteria for Sheffields widening access graduate course would fund 5 years fees for the a100 course? If any can then surely they are not applicants who are in need of a widening access scheme. There are many medical schools that have lower entry requirements for self funding graduates. How is increasing the number of places offered to self funding applicants widening access? How is lowering entry requirements for those that can self fund widening access?
Original post by Cas22
So any idea's how applicants from poorer backgrounds who meet the criteria for Sheffields widening access graduate course would fund 5 years fees for the a100 course? If any can then surely they are not applicants who are in need of a widening access scheme. There are many medical schools that have lower entry requirements for self funding graduates. How is increasing the number of places offered to self funding applicants widening access? How is lowering entry requirements for those that can self fund widening access?

They just want to give people that extra chance, but you do make a fair point. I'm working full time and I've managed to scrape together the £3.5k required for GEM, but to do a five year course as a graduate costs about £37k if I remember correctly... I suppose it is unlikely that someone from a WP background would be able to come up with that kind of money. I certainly didn't apply to any 5 year courses as it would have been prohibitively expensive for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending