The Student Room Group

biology

What is the basic structure of all cell membranes?
Original post by owais_148
What is the basic structure of all cell membranes?

Look up the fluid-mosaic model.

You have phospholipids which have their tails turned inwards due to their hydrophobic properties, and then the heads facing outwards due to their hydrophilic properties. This forms a bilayer.

Then you have various proteins on the outside (the mosaic part of the model) which act as receptors or transporters allowing substances/molecules in and out of the membrane.

(Bear in mind I did my A-Levels well over a year ago now, I hope that answers your question)
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Look up the fluid-mosaic model.

You have phospholipids which have their tails turned inwards due to their hydrophobic properties, and then the heads facing outwards due to their hydrophilic properties. This forms a bilayer.

Then you have various proteins on the outside (the mosaic part of the model) which act as receptors or transporters allowing substances/molecules in and out of the membrane.

(Bear in mind I did my A-Levels well over a year ago now, I hope that answers your question)

Additionally you have cholesterol to allow for more fluid movement. Otherwise this is a pretty detailed answer for you OP.
Reply 3
And you also have gkycolipids and that other glyco thing?
Reply 4
Thanks for you help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending