The Student Room Group

WJEC English Lit

OK, so my English Literature exam is in 3 and a half weeks, and I've realised that it's the only subject which I'm really not prepared for whatsoever.

I'm doing WJEC specification A (i.e. the one without the anthology) and I'm studying To Kill a Mockingbird and An Inspector Calls.

However, I've only managed to recently managed to get hold of past papers for it, and I have no idea how to answer the questions.

How would I go about answering a question such as:
"Imagine you are (character). Look back over events in the book, remembering how (character) would speak when answering the question." (20 marks)

I really have no idea as to where to start, as my English teacher doesn't seem to realise that to do well in an exam, we need to know what we actually have to do. I know the texts and their themes fairly well, but have no idea on exam technique.

So does anyone have any tips or anything whatsoever to help me get a semi-decent grade in this exam? Cheers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am doing the same paper, but am doing Of Mice and Men and A View From the Bridge. :smile:

Just pick out the main events of the book/play and think how each character would react or feel about it. Then, just structure these few important events in chronological order, in first person.

It takes a few attempts, but it not that hard to crack, honest!
My teacher gave us these copies from a WJEC revision / work book (you should be able to get it on amazon)
The first sheet :biggrin:
Reply 4
Oo, thanks to you both.

Steffi, is this the book? http://www.amazon.co.uk/WJEC-CBAC-GCSE-English-Literature/dp/0198318855
If it is, I reckon I'll buy it.
I'm not sure, I think the teacher said it was a workbook, but a revision book won't do any harm.

I think it's this http://www.amazon.co.uk/WJEC-CBAC-GCSE-English-Literature/dp/0198318847/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209224238&sr=1-3 which is more expensive. The revision book should help you though...
Reply 6
Hmm, I'll try and get both, because I really want an A and to do this I'll have to do it despite a lack of any exam preparation from my teacher whatsoever. We spent a whole lesson the other day playing bingo with "poetry words". We spent another two making "fortune tellers" (y'know, them folded paper things that 10 year old girls play with) with "poetry words". We spend many lessons just sat there while someone reads from the book, and seeing as everyone in my class is literate I'm sure this really isn't necessary. And this is a top set "fasttrack" class who did the language exam last year and a teacher who teaches A-level students. Pretty much sums up my school's English department. </rant>

Anyway thanks for your help :smile:
How many times have you read your books? It's easier if you know the texts.
Reply 8
I'm doing the same specification, but with To Kill A Mockingbird and Hobson's Choice.

The questions where it asks you to pretend to be a charater are normally in the second section, where you get a choice between two questions.

Advice we were given from our teacher if we get a question like that was to pick the other one. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Hi....I have a similar questions at all!! My teacher said that to get a good grade its important that you sound like the character and that you are subtle (I'm not, unfortunately). Instead of saying:

"I hate Eva for using my name. How rude of her!" it should be more like, "The impertinence of the girl! How dare she use my name?" (Mrs Birling's thoughts about Eva) This is just an example and not that good, like I said I'm not very good at doing 'Imagine you are' question. I'm just gonna skip that one in the exam and do the other option instead.

...Hope this helps
Reply 10
Hi, ive got an WJEC English Lit exam on Tuesday, does anyone know the grade boundaries for the exam?
Reply 11
AG27
Hi, ive got an WJEC English Lit exam on Tuesday, does anyone know the grade boundaries for the exam?

i think it's 88% or 90% for A*
75% for A
66% B
im a not definite of these just from memory:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Hi, I also have exam on Tuesday, can anyone tell me the kind of questions that come up.
Reply 13
LJReeves
Hi, I also have exam on Tuesday, can anyone tell me the kind of questions that come up.

Esays: Advice to an actor, Empathy-looking back other events in a character perspective, Theme Eg: Maycomb is a town riddled with prejudice, The relationship between to characters
Extracts: mood and atomosphere and what do we learn about a character
Reply 14
Meelz
Esays: Advice to an actor, Empathy-looking back other events in a character perspective, Theme Eg: Maycomb is a town riddled with prejudice, The relationship between to characters
Extracts: mood and atomosphere and what do we learn about a character

Thanks, any ideas were I can get hold of past/practice papers, my teacher didn't give me any
tommmmmmmmmm

How would I go about answering a question such as:
"Imagine you are (character). Look back over events in the book, remembering how (character) would speak when answering the question." (20 marks)

Okay, don't want to say you shouldn't do it, but our teacher advised us to always do the essay question rather than the character question if possible. She went to one of those lecture things, and reckons apparently it's much much harder to get a good grade in the character one. So you know.

But then again if your strengths are in language and not literature maybe it's better.
Reply 16
Meelz
i think it's 88% or 90% for A*
75% for A
66% B
im a not definite of these just from memory:s-smilie:

thanks
Reply 17
lauralegend
Okay, don't want to say you shouldn't do it, but our teacher advised us to always do the essay question rather than the character question if possible. She went to one of those lecture things, and reckons apparently it's much much harder to get a good grade in the character one. So you know.

But then again if your strengths are in language and not literature maybe it's better.

my teacher says the same
Reply 18
Haha, I did both the character questions. I was so badly prepared for that exam...
That exam was hard, I thought my Merchant of Venice went okay, but To Kill A Mockingbird, the one I knew best, I did sooooo badly. I also hated the poem.

Latest