The Student Room Group

How to deal with low body image.

I have body acne. I am getting a handle of it, it isn't awful and actually I just have some psrts of skin a bit darker but not exactly scarred on my back.

Other than that, I have dark and thick hair in odd places like my stomach causing me to shave it which sometimes creates ingrown hairs (I know how to treat them, sometimes they are stubborn as spots can be) and leave slight pigmentation behind too :s.

I am of average figure a perfect rectangle, I have had a handful of good-looking friends and they have much different experiences to me which made me conclude I am not attractive. (Things happen to them, like a common thing they all experienced but never to me).

I haven't ever had a boyfriend in real life and I am nearly 18.

I should say I hate optimism, I hate people who are like "love yourself for you, what others think doesn't matter" or when someone clearly says I am ugly or something and a close friend or family says "Don't think about it" but when a person said I was attractive they all were like see? You are attractive.
Those people hurt me more than the blunt people.

I just dunno what to do, I really hate the way I look in nearly every aspect and I already have a high hygiene regime because of my acne (Shower everyday with about 5 different gels)(wash my face twice a day with acne products and toners which all work well unless I am having my period). I even go the gym twice a week :/// I use nice perfumes, people actually say I smell very nice so that isn't of issue..
Original post by Anonymous
I have body acne. I am getting a handle of it, it isn't awful and actually I just have some psrts of skin a bit darker but not exactly scarred on my back.

Other than that, I have dark and thick hair in odd places like my stomach causing me to shave it which sometimes creates ingrown hairs (I know how to treat them, sometimes they are stubborn as spots can be) and leave slight pigmentation behind too :s.

I am of average figure a perfect rectangle, I have had a handful of good-looking friends and they have much different experiences to me which made me conclude I am not attractive. (Things happen to them, like a common thing they all experienced but never to me).

I haven't ever had a boyfriend in real life and I am nearly 18.

I should say I hate optimism, I hate people who are like "love yourself for you, what others think doesn't matter" or when someone clearly says I am ugly or something and a close friend or family says "Don't think about it" but when a person said I was attractive they all were like see? You are attractive.
Those people hurt me more than the blunt people.

I just dunno what to do, I really hate the way I look in nearly every aspect and I already have a high hygiene regime because of my acne (Shower everyday with about 5 different gels)(wash my face twice a day with acne products and toners which all work well unless I am having my period). I even go the gym twice a week :/// I use nice perfumes, people actually say I smell very nice so that isn't of issue..

If your acne bothers you that much then maybe go to your GP and get them to refer you to a dermatologist and see what they say. They may be able to prescribe you something that will clear your spots. Also if ingrown hairs are annoying you from shaving then you could use other forms of hair removal like waxing or hair removal creams. As for the boyfriend comment don't worry about it at the moment, just focus on your studies and the time will come- not everyone has romantic relationships in their teen years anyway so it is not something to particularly worry about.

Hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by I'mCookieMonster
If your acne bothers you that much then maybe go to your GP and get them to refer you to a dermatologist and see what they say. They may be able to prescribe you something that will clear your spots. Also if ingrown hairs are annoying you from shaving then you could use other forms of hair removal like waxing or hair removal creams. As for the boyfriend comment don't worry about it at the moment, just focus on your studies and the time will come- not everyone has romantic relationships in their teen years anyway so it is not something to particularly worry about.

Hope this helps x

Thank you for the acne thing. Sadly, my last option pill wise is a pill similar to accutane and I don't really want to take it due to the fertility issues it can cause. And all the creams available are either benzoyl peroxide or retinol which doesn't help. I have a foreign cream for ebay which is the only one that works as it is strong enough.

I have tried waxing and it is actually much worse than shaving to me, everyone says how amazing waxing is for them so it upsets me that doesn't work.

I am such a mess lol :frown: but thank you for your suggestions I do appreciate your comment x
hey I have body acne and tbh I’ve learned to not give an f. Acne or not, I’m still beautiful and deserve to Be loved for my character. Have that mindset. U can get laser surgery for the hair problem. ur only 17, a kid In the laws eyes so don’t worry about getting a bf. u need to love yourself before you love anyone else. You know people gloooo upppppp and that could be you

Quick Reply

Latest