The Student Room Group

Hate messages taped to walls of Canadian university campus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fujoshi
Except that it's fairly well documented that a bunch of guys on 4chan started the "It's okay to be white" message/posters for the exact purpose of tricking people into decrying it. And they somehow got their bad joke discussed by the Australian parliament >.<
(Whether white supremacists have started sending it out also is another matter but I somehow doubt that they'd be doing something so banal?)

"It's okay to be white is a slogan based on a poster campaign organised...by 4chan...as a "proof of concept" that a "harmless message" would cause a "massive media shitstorm", so that the media backlash against the slogan would help convert white Americans to the far right.

The saying was later spread by neo-Nazi groups and politically organized racists, including former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke and The Daily Stormer. A report by the ADL states that the phrase itself has a history within the white supremacist movement going back to 2001..."

in other words:
1) created to help convert white Americans to the far right
2) got a bunch of white supremacist copycats
3) which one do you think our friends are in OP's scenario?

on a side note, you can't post something knowing others will find it offensive and hope they find it offensive then claim 'i wasn't trying to offend anyone'. lol that's literally impossible.
Original post by Joleee

"It's okay to be white is a slogan based on a poster campaign organised...by 4chan...as a "proof of concept" that a "harmless message" would cause a "massive media shitstorm", so that the media backlash against the slogan would help convert white Americans to the far right.

The saying was later spread by neo-Nazi groups and politically organized racists, including former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke and The Daily Stormer. A report by the ADL states that the phrase itself has a history within the white supremacist movement going back to 2001..."

in other words:

on a side note, you can't post something knowing others will find it offensive and hope they find it offensive then claim 'i wasn't trying to offend anyone'. lol that's literally impossible.

Yes, but to beat it, you can't play into their hands:

"to help convert white Americans to the far right"

How does it do that? It's not the message itself that converts people to the far right - its the reaction to the message.

Take my elderly relitives - they don't see a message like "Its ok to be white", on the news and move to the right.. they just think 'obviously its ok' and move on...

What would push them to the right is the reaction to the message.. they see people on TV saying that its racist to say 'its ok to be white' and that its hate speach - and they don't understand 4chan or any of the culture wars.. all they see is a group of young people complaining at the message 'its ok to be white'

They disagree with that, so they push to the other side.

Its why the campaign was so - diabolically - brilliant. Its effectiveness is 100% based on the reaction it recieves, not the message itself.

So how do you beat it? If you cut off the reaction - it looses all its effectiveness, and it can't push anyone else to the right.

If every time "its ok, to be white" was posted somewhere.. everyone just said "yes it is. Its ok to be any ethnicity" - then it would die in weeks. And the left would win.
I believe the whole thing was done to troll a certain section of society and it has clearly worked.

Do you think there’s something wrong with being white OP? All you do is make trollish threads which are more than a little hysterical.
Original post by YaliaV
I believe the whole thing was done to troll a certain section of society and it has clearly worked.

Do you think there’s something wrong with being white OP? All you do is make trollish threads which are more than a little hysterical.

Nobody is saying it is wrong to be white. It is clearly you who is being hysterical. What is wrong is posting that message up - epsecially considering it is vandalism - in an attempt to harass/intimidate people of colour.
Probably to do with the sickening anti-white atmosphere in so many uni campuses in the Americas these days.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Nobody is saying it is wrong to be white. It is clearly you who is being hysterical. What is wrong is posting that message up - epsecially considering it is vandalism - in an attempt to harass/intimidate people of colour.

You don't like white people, do you?

If people of colour feel harassed/intimidated by the idea of being white not being a crime. They are the racists, and should leave. And take their white traitors with them.

How is putting some paper on a wall vandalism?

How do you know what intent was? It seems a lot of white people feel like they’re being told they’re bad simply because they’re white, it could have been a message to reassure those people.

As for vandalism...taping a piece of paper to a wall is not vandalism.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So straight away people ignoring the message and intent behind "it's ok to be white"...

No-one is saying it isn't ok to be white, but white supremacists mistake people suggesting the world doesn't start and end with them as a suggestion that it's not acceptable to be them - they're entitled children who think that anything short of hero worship for them is oppression: something any minority would laugh bitterly at.

Sorry, I’ve gotta ask. Which model of crystal ball are you using to divine other people’s intent with such accuracy when you don’t even know WHO put the message up to begin with? Because honestly that is some impressive talent you’ve got there divining so much from so little.
NPC's always infer racism because they are the real racists.
Too many dumb people taking the bait and handwaving about this. Do you really think branding an innocuous message like "It's okay to be white" as a "coordinated international neo-Nazi Megahitler 2.0 attempt at Holocaust" is going to bring people who have no idea what 4chan is to agree with you?
Typical considerate Candaians, using tape instead of paint :rolleyes:
lol @ the left not getting this.
A University of Manitoba student says hateful messages posted on campus and sent to at least one fax machine add an "element of fear" to being on school grounds.

"I think it's sickening," said Charlene Hallett. "But, on the other side too, I want to roll my eyes and say, "You know what? No, you don't get to try to intimidate us this way.'"

Oh no, that sounds serious. I wonder what the messages said?

Sheets of paper with the phrase "It's okay to be white" were taped to walls around the U of M campus this week. Faxes with the same phrase were sent to offices around the campus, including the women's and gender studies program.

Doesn't seem bad, but I'm sure there's more. Nobody would kick up a fuss about something as true and harmless as that.

The University of Manitoba is denouncing the posters, which the school president says are part of "a co-ordinated international effort by neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups."

"The university unequivocally condemns this and any other racist actions," David Barnard wrote in a statement sent to media on Friday.

"There is no tolerance for hate and discrimination, as I made clear yesterday in my remarks at the vigil in honour of the shooting victims in Pittsburgh: We share a sense of revulsion and need to act because of what we see happening around us. The treatment of refugees. The tone of anger and hatred in political discourse. The installation of corrupt regimes. A distressing number of hate crimes. Terrorist attacks."

The university has removed the posters and security services is investigating, Barnard said, adding he believes the messages are part of "a co-ordinated international effort by neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups."

Well that escalated quickly...

Campus organizations were planning events in support of groups who feel targeted by the messages, she said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/hate-messages-university-manitoba-campus-1.4889084

In recent months there has been a surge of hate messages being posted in universities in the USA, Canada, and the UK. This is just the latest example.

What can Universities do to tackle the increasing problem of racist and threatening messages targeting their students?

If there are indeed racist and threatening messages around campus then universities should take them down. The examples given here are certainly not, though.
Original post by Joleee

in other words:

Those who came up with poster "campaign" on 4chan chose the saying because it/similar had caused (media) outrage before. And they were hoping it would show the media/left wing to be off the deep end which would then turn "normies" away from the far left. (Because this is the echoy chambers of the internet where stupid ideas somehow go exactly to plan and then some)

The fact of the matter is that except amongst a small minority of actual white supremacists (who used it in songs/as a hash tag?) the term really shouldn't be given as much power as it has.
But now that the Australian parliament fell head first into the pitfall there's next to no chance that people won't ever stop being paranoid about secret neo-nazis putting up stupid A4 posters to strike fear into the hearts of PoC whenever someone who thinks it's funny to generate outrage sticks them up in their neighbourhood :/

The water has been so muddied in regards to hate messages being posted around that I don't think we'll be able to accurately tell if something has been written by someone actually dangerous or by prankests or worse activists trying to make a point so badly by manufacturing hate messages themselves for a long time to come >.>
Original post by the bear
fax machine ? welcome to Canada :teehee:

They're still faxscists though.
I saw a £5 note with this written on it the other week.
Apparently the suffragettes did this with " votes for women" scrawled on banknotes.
I suppose it's a slow burn viral campaign.
Reply 38
Original post by AperfectBalance
"Everyone knows what it's saying"

Seems like that looking at it "everyone" very clearly does not, it is only a bunch of foolish idiots who take "It is ok to be white" as "IT ISNT OK TO BE ANYTHING ELSE"

You took the bait and have lost.
Regardless of the possible intent behind the messages, any reasonable person would know that it would be assumed that there was some racist intent behind it, and would not do it, therefore it can be reasonably assumed that the intent was racist.
It's a shocker. It's OK to be white - the obverse of the racist hate speech coin - and

Black Lives Matter - the reverse of the racist hate speech coin.

Essentially the same message, different colour, obviously, one put about by unknown people for unknown reasons, the other put about by a bunch of confrontational and often violent protesters who deliberately incite racial tension. There is so much logic in the social justice movement, isn't there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending