The Student Room Group

Subject Choices for Russel Group Uni

I am aiming to pursue a career in law. So i hope to take English Language, English Literature and Geography for A-Level in order to get into UCL (Russel Group Accredited University), will this be fine? I have also been recommended to take a fourth A-Level and was thinking of Religious Studies, is this acceptable? Is there another A-Level better suited to Law?
From experience, the subjects that you take at A level have limited effect on acceptance into universities. In addition to this, as for the fourth subject, it isn’t necessary nor efficient in many ways. You don’t want to overestimate your capabilities as a student; at the same time, don’t limit yourself - choose the subjects you enjoy or feel will benefit you in life.

Good luck in the future!
Original post by Aptitude.
From experience, the subjects that you take at A level have limited effect on acceptance into universities. In addition to this, as for the fourth subject, it isn’t necessary nor efficient in many ways. You don’t want to overestimate your capabilities as a student; at the same time, don’t limit yourself - choose the subjects you enjoy or feel will benefit you in life.

Good luck in the future!

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply, yes I agree the fourth subject is a long shot for A-Level, but it gives me a year to decide whether I want to drop a subject to see if I am best suited for it, e.g. I would drop R.E if I didn't make any progress by the end of the year. As for the university I was only asking because they require 'facilitating' subjects at A-Level i.e Geography, English, French etc. Would taking one non-facilitating subject impact greatly on my application? This is their website:

https://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

Many Thanks
:smile:
Original post by Pagan Min
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply, yes I agree the fourth subject is a long shot for A-Level, but it gives me a year to decide whether I want to drop a subject to see if I am best suited for it, e.g. I would drop R.E if I didn't make any progress by the end of the year. As for the university I was only asking because they require 'facilitating' subjects at A-Level i.e Geography, English, French etc. Would taking one non-facilitating subject impact greatly on my application? This is their website:

https://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

Many Thanks
:smile:

It’s all about what kind of subject it is. For example, if you want to study law at University then taking subjects like Maths and Physics may not be as acknowledged than subjects that include extensive essay writing such as English Literature and History.

Hope I could help.
Reply 4
I am aiming to pursue a career in law. So i hope to take English Language, English Literature and Geography for A-Level in order to get into UCL (Russel Group Accredited University), will this be fine? I have also been recommended to take a fourth A-Level and was thinking of Religious Studies, is this acceptable? Is there another A-Level better suited to Law?

UCL says this:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/preferred-a-level-subjects

Don't do 4 A-levels, 3 are sufficient. It's all about quality not quantity, so doing well in 3 is vital. But have you considered doing RS (if you really like it) *instead* of English Language?

If you want to stretch yourself an EPQ might be worth considering.

Also don't put all your eggs in the UCL (or RG) basket. You have 5 university choices and you may well find you are interested in the courses elsewhere including at non-RG universities.

The RG doesn't accredit anything, it's a self-selected lobby group not a badge of teaching quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,
Thanks a lot for the website link! I agree that 4 A-Levels may be a stretch, so yes it would be a good idea to think about doing 3 instead. In terms of RS, I only considered this as a fourth option, because I would rather do Lang and Lit A-Level with Geography. Yes, RG uni's aren't necessarily the best, but I only contemplated this because of UCL's connection with law firms, courts etc. in London.
Hi there,
Thanks a lot for the website link! I agree that 4 A-Levels may be a stretch, so yes it would be a good idea to think about doing 3 instead. In terms of RS, I only considered this as a fourth option, because I would rather do Lang and Lit A-Level with Geography. Yes, RG uni's aren't necessarily the best, but I only contemplated this because of UCL's connection with law firms, courts etc. in London.

the key issue that comes from the preferred subject list is that they accept far more subjects than the so called facilitating subjects and this is typical of most universities including Russell Group. Do not fall for the facilitating subject list and just remember that there are universities outside the Russell Group thar are as good as those within. Pick subjects you enjoy and will get good results in.

Quick Reply

Latest