The Student Room Group

A-level choices

hello everyone!! hope you’re all well. i’m starting my a-levels this september and i’m not too sure on my choices quite yet. I’m planning on doing english lit, classical civ and either psych/bio/history along with an epq!

i’m not exactly sure what i’d like to do at uni, but a psych degree is the only stem related thing i’d ever consider (hence why im stuck between taking a science or history), if not a psych degree i’d go into the humanities. i’m hoping to do a joint honours as well, potentially between psych and something else if i enjoy it. i’ve looked at the syllabi for all subjects and i find all of it interesting! it doesn’t really help that i’m good at both sciences and humanities subjects and enjoy both thoroughly.

does anyone have any advice in terms of choices? like what would be best for universities, etc. i’m hoping to aim for a russell group uni!

thank you! :-)
I would think that for psychology biology and chemistry would be very helpful- common combos that people are doing is bio chem maths, bio chem psych, bio psych maths- basically just these 4 in different combinations. However you need to check university requirements for it. If you do EPQ on psychology then I wouldn't think that taking it would be necessary- I don't think that it is ever a requirement. But for a STEM degree it would be much better to do at least 2/3 STEM
Original post by widogastings
hello everyone!! hope you’re all well. i’m starting my a-levels this september and i’m not too sure on my choices quite yet. I’m planning on doing english lit, classical civ and either psych/bio/history along with an epq!

i’m not exactly sure what i’d like to do at uni, but a psych degree is the only stem related thing i’d ever consider (hence why im stuck between taking a science or history), if not a psych degree i’d go into the humanities. i’m hoping to do a joint honours as well, potentially between psych and something else if i enjoy it. i’ve looked at the syllabi for all subjects and i find all of it interesting! it doesn’t really help that i’m good at both sciences and humanities subjects and enjoy both thoroughly.

does anyone have any advice in terms of choices? like what would be best for universities, etc. i’m hoping to aim for a russell group uni!

thank you! :-)
Im currently a year 12 student taking Bio, Chem, Psych and an EPQ. I did originally take English Lit at the beggining of the year but I felt like I didnt belong in that classroom as much as I love enlglish.
Personally I love the subjects I have chose becuase I find science super interesting along with psychology.
Uni wise, a lots of russel groups take whatever, but be sure to look at the courses for them and their entry requirements. It is usually just a levels and rarely Btecs.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest