The Student Room Group

If you could change anything about the UK education system, what would you change?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustLewis
Wouldn't ICT be more suited more towards that point? I do GCSE Computer Science and I feel the stuff taught in it isn't important enough for it to be put on a mandatory level like Maths (You may think I could be completely wrong so feel free to correct me) But I do agree some people know way too little about computing and as the future is moving towards it then it should be mandatory to do a computer orientated qualification such as ICT

While I do agree that ICT could be better for a wider group of students, you could argue that the likes of Biology and Chemistry aren’t super important, yet they are mandatory. I feel like Computer Science is starting to have more relevance, and that it could have the same level of importance as the sciences.

Then again, I could be biased because I’ve done it at GCSE, am doing it A-Level and am going on to do it at Uni, but that’s what I think :wink:
Primary School:
Reception to yr 3 Learning and inquiry
Years 4 to 6 would be the base for secondary school
Secondary School:
GCSE would be 5 years.

The O-levels by 1987 maybe a total of 60% of pupils took the GCE O-Level and now 95% of pupils The GCSEs were meant for 80 to 90 % to set. The GCSEs may have needed change.
This is how I would have changed the if I had been able to help in the changes:

GCSEs
top 2.5 % Pupils Highest Hon Tier A to E or G (9-1) 30% more material then the Higher Tier
2.5 % Pupils Hon Tier A to E or G (9-1) 30% more material then the Higher Tier
5% of Pupils High Tier A to E or G (9-1) 15% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (high) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (Middle) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (low) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
10% Basic Tier A to G (9-1)
OR
3. 33.333% Higher Tier 60% more material then the lowest 11.11% in the Intermediate Tier
33.333% Intermediate Tier 60% more material then the lowest 11.11% then the Basic Tier
33.333 of pupils in the Basic Tier
either way they 10% coursework with presentation and 10% Coursework/controlled coursework with exams 6 to 10 exams through the years 7 to 11
Maths/Physics or Physical Science
Science/Computer Science
MFL
PE or Sport 1 year 4 exams
History
Government/Politics 1 year 4 exams
Geography
English Language & English Lit 4 exams through the 2 years
2 of Art/Dance/Music/Drama/theatre tech so on
2 of 2nd MFL/ Vocational so on

Original post by kpusa1981
Primary School:
Reception to yr 3 Learning and inquiry
Years 4 to 6 would be the base for secondary school
Secondary School:
GCSE would be 5 years.

GCSEs
top 2.5 % Pupils Highest Hon Tier A to E or G (9-1) 30% more material then the Higher Tier
2.5 % Pupils Hon Tier A to E or G (9-1) 30% more material then the Higher Tier
5% of Pupils High Tier A to E or G (9-1) 15% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (high) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (Middle) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
20% of Pupils Intermediate (low) Tier A to G (9-1) 5% more material then the Intermediate
10% Basic Tier A to G (9-1)
OR
3. 33.333% Higher Tier 60% more material then the lowest 11.11% in the Intermediate Tier
33.333% Intermediate Tier 60% more material then the lowest 11.11% then the Basic Tier
33.333 of pupils in the Basic Tier
either way they 10% coursework with presentation and 10% Coursework/controlled coursework with exams 6 to 10 exams through the years 7 to 11
Maths/Physics or Physical Science
Science/Computer Science
MFL
PE or Sport 1 year 4 exams
History
Government/Politics 1 year 4 exams
Geography
English Language & English Lit 4 exams through the 2 years
2 of Art/Dance/Music/Drama/theatre tech so on
2 of 2nd MFL/ Vocational so on

Just one thing? I would make education policy Non political. Have an external multiparty branch of government that decides policy.. and most of all locks policy in for 5-10 years.

One the most fundamental problems we have at the moment is that the government can change every 5 years.. and the education minister can change quicker than that.. each new person comes in and wants to make their mark on the system to justify their position and build their reputation so they make changes.. but they do so before the effects of the last changes are fully known.. if you make a change you need to let it play out for 5-10 years to see how it fully effects students through their education, and to give teachers a few full cycles of students to perfect it.

As it stands now we have change that is way to rapid to be effective either in implementation or evaluation.

Teachers are left to bear the brunt of a constantly changing curriculum.
I teach at a college so a lot of my criticism of the education system is related to colleges. One criticism I have is how colleges are severely underfunded and this leads to colleges having to cut vital courses that learners need. For example, at my college, Level 2 Functional Skills has been cut out completely and replaced with GCSE English Language instead. So Level 1 students jump straight to GCSE when they aren't at the right level for GCSE, leading to more students failing GCSEs as opposed to more students passing.
All pupils in Scotland in S4 to sit eight National 5 (renamed to National Certificate of Secondary Education (NCSE)), sit five Highers in S5 if successfully passed at least five NCSEs and sit three Advanced Highers in S6 if successfully passed at least three Highers. National 4 and qualification below that level to be abolished.
I’d say less focus on exams, more on perhaps coursework so that you don’t have to cram for one day which if your ill or something, you’ve completely messed up your entire qualification

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending