The Student Room Group

Bad predicted GCSE grades. Can't get into college.

To do Alevel maths and physics at level I need a grade 6 but my teachers have predicted me 5s! I've tried asking my teachers to raise my predicted grade as I'm certain I can achieve 6s as I am working so hard this year. My teachers said they won't do it though. What should I do? Should I apply to the colleges with the predicted grades that I have or will I straight up get rejected ???
Reply 1
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
To do Alevel maths and physics at level I need a grade 6 but my teachers have predicted me 5s! I've tried asking my teachers to raise my predicted grade as I'm certain I can achieve 6s as I am working so hard this year. My teachers said they won't do it though. What should I do? Should I apply to the colleges with the predicted grades that I have or will I straight up get rejected ???

Predicted grades are often based on your SATs and most people will recognise that they are subject to change, I would apply for both Sixth Form or College (not sure which you wanted to do?) because the worst thing that can happen is they say no! Also it may be worth having a conversation with the admissions officer at the college/sixth form you want to go to (or sending an email) to explain your circumstances as they might offer you a place pending you reaching those grades

Predicted grades are not everything. Go ahead and apply. What is something is working hard to get those grades. If you work hard enough through homework, revision and school study, you will most likely get the grades you want and better.
Reply 3
Original post by vestigalrex510
Predicted grades are not everything. Go ahead and apply. What is something is working hard to get those grades. If you work hard enough through homework, revision and school study, you will most likely get the grades you want and better.

I swear its like Sixth Forms in England are pretending to be unis with their admissions processes, they teach basic concepts broadly, they ain't anything special. its the students that are.

Go ahead and apply, if you smash your target then you'll be able to study there.

Edit: It's strange but I had a look through your posts/threads and I'm confused, you've posted about being in second year university as of 2017...

Still apply. I sit next to a guy in maths who is predicted a 8, in our mocks we just done he got a 4 and I got a 7. My predicted is still a 5. And so predicted grades mean **** all. still apply cause they cannot stop you for Sats you did nearly 6 years ago. **** your teachers who gave you a low grade, work hard and you will do well. Still apply my G.
most places will let you in on a conditional offer therefore as long as you recieve a 6 you should be fine
Don't worry about GCSE predicted grades, I personally went up like 25 grades in total from predicted grades.
my predicted are 7s based on SATS-i can achieve higher in most subjects. I know a guy on 9s now and he came in with 1 in english 2 in maths and 2 in writing.

doesn't matter; focus on mocks and your ACTUAL gcses.
Reply 9
Alevel maths will be so hard if you’re getting a 6 at gcse
lol i am in my third year of uni now. My younger brother posted this quenstion on my account because he doesn't have one.
Original post by Rhythmical
Go ahead and apply, if you smash your target then you'll be able to study there.

Edit: It's strange but I had a look through your posts/threads and I'm confused, you've posted about being in second year university as of 2017...
Original post by abi9320
Predicted grades are often based on your SATs and most people will recognise that they are subject to change, I would apply for both Sixth Form or College (not sure which you wanted to do?) because the worst thing that can happen is they say no! Also it may be worth having a conversation with the admissions officer at the college/sixth form you want to go to (or sending an email) to explain your circumstances as they might offer you a place pending you reaching those grades

Really? In my school predicted grades are based on a number of factors based on work in year 10 and 11. Yes, we do have 'target' grades which are the forecasted SATs results, but teachers know how unreliable they are so they aren't used for official predicted grades. For example, my maths target is a 6, but I have been consistently achieving 7-9, so my predicted is 8. I thought that's the way all schools do it? It seems foolish to stick to targets if they are not accurate.
Original post by Zaratomaa
Really? In my school predicted grades are based on a number of factors based on work in year 10 and 11. Yes, we do have 'target' grades which are the forecasted SATs results, but teachers know how unreliable they are so they aren't used for official predicted grades. For example, my maths target is a 6, but I have been consistently achieving 7-9, so my predicted is 8. I thought that's the way all schools do it? It seems foolish to stick to targets if they are not accurate.

I think that's what every school does but that the posters are confused between predictions and targets.
Reply 13
Original post by Zaratomaa

I think schools do it differently, in mine they had the predicted grades which were based on SATs and where you lived (among other factors), agreed target grades which your teacher. Although I agree that your system is so much better!
Original post by Rhythmical

Nice catch.
He also posted about doing A-levels. Applying for UCAS etc..
Maybe he is Benjamin Button lol.

Quick Reply

Latest