Should Atheists Celebrate Christmas? Watch

Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ybg321)
People cant give eachother presents and be jolly on your birthday and completely disregard you
Sure they can lol. What's stopping them? If somebody tried throwing me a birthday party I didn't want, I'd tell them to enjoy it but I won't be showing up :rofl:
ybg321
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Linalolo)
To be fair that happens in UAE. The non-muslims still go to iftars and celebrate the festivities with muslims even if they dont fast. It is not a bad thing and muslims dont complain (as long as the non-muslims are respectful and dont eat/drink infront of a fasting person)
Youre right that does happen there but it isnt on a worldwide scale and to be fair The UAE is predominantly muslim so people arer still familiar with and most importantly respect muslim traditions and customs but it seems like Christmas is plucked out and is solely jused just so people can have fun themselves without acknowledging the true meaning at all. As you said those non muslims are still respectful to the custom but a non-christian could do whatever and still turn up and celebrate christmas
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Anyone that wants to should enjoy the cultural holidays in their country of residence.

Christians should not celebrate Christmas as a religious festival - the birth of someone that was, essentially, a human sacrifice is perverse, IMO.
he was a human sacrifice for a reason making it even more important for christians to commemorate him?
Linalolo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anybody can do it but you still have to recognise and acknowledge the reason it was conceptualised in the first place and that was to commemorate the birth of Jesus. You cant just take a concept and make it different. People cant give eachother presents and be jolly on your birthday and completely disregard you
I mean... Thats not the point though!! I do like how you are comparing my birth to the birth of jesus though. I'll take that.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Atheists.... why do you continue to use coins which bear the initials DG ? surely you cannot condone saying that Our Sovereign Queen Elizabeth reigns by the Grace of God ?

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/uploa...6e97b0a36c.jpg
Harold Saxon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The baby jesus wasn't born on christmas day, and we all know it.
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Eh I disagree that it works with Islam too
and why does it not work withislam too
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Linalolo)
I mean... Thats not the point though!! I do like how you are comparing my birth to the birth of jesus though. I'll take that.
Oh my bad, what is the point
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Of course we can. Christians hijacked it from the Pagans anyway and Jesus was actually born in Spring or Summer so...

I like Christmas because of the tree, lights, decorations, food, get togethers etc.
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 1 week ago
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Of course we can. Christians hijacked it from the Pagans anyway. Jesus was born in Spring or Summer anyway so..

I like Christmas because of the tree, lights, decorations, food, get togethers etc.
Youre right jesus was probs born in the spring. Its not about who hijacked it from who its about the concept of it and the concept of Christmas is to commemorate the birth of Christ thats why it is callled CHRISTmas in the first place so if you celebrate somthing you usually acknowledge its meaning
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
and why does it not work withislam too
For reasons I've already said
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For reasons I've already said
could you quote those reasons i didnt see them
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so if you celebrate somthing you usually acknowledge its meaning
Naaah
hannxm
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Now here's a question sure to get your thinking caps on. :hmmmm:

Christmas is typically associated with Christians and the Christian religion. So why do people who aren't religious celebrate it? :holmes:

What do you think?

I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas for the family, food, fun and presents . It's not a religious holiday to me (and I'm sure not to other atheists too).

Tell us what you think! Should atheists celebrate Christmas? :yes::nah:
It's a love hate thing for me. Sometimes I love it because of all the Christmas lights and I live by a city that goes all out with an ice rink and everything, but I always think about how the shops are just getting rich whilst putting pressure on poorer people to spend their money on something that really isn't that important. I enjoy giving presents to my family.

Christmas for me obviously isn't religious, we have no religious symbols and usually just have an angel (we don't believe in those but they're pretty) or Santa chilling somewhere. It's just a nice time to share presents with family and it brings us altogether as some family live a couple of hours away.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Christians didnt steal no Yule they quite evidently made some some sort of derivitive of it but the meaning that they made of it and the concept of it is to acknowledge the birth of Christ thats why its called CHRISTmas and not yule and it means Christs mass so people coming together to celebrate Christ. They didnt decide he was born on Christmas day - everybody knows he wasnt - they chose a day to remember his birth evidently because they dont know when he was born but still wanted to commemorate his birth somehow
Nope, the Christians stole Yule. Sugarcoat it all you want, but they stole Yule and made it their own celebration, with a focus on Jesus.
Like I said, Yule was originally a celebration of the Winter Solstice and that's what it will always be in my eyes.

I don't know why you're adamant on using the 'CHRISTmas' argument. It's not convincing and doesn't prove anything.
Just because Christians named the celebration Christmas many moons ago, for their celebration of their own beliefs, doesn't give definitive evidence that the entire point of Christmas is to come and celebrate Christ. That's just one demographic's interpretation of the event, which doesn't have to be believed by everyone.

I will celebrate Christmas because of the happiness it brings. I will celebrate Christmas to share gifts, love and spirit. I will celebrate Christmas to spend time with the family. I will do all of this without any thoughts that Christmas is all about Jesus, because quite frankly, the majority of the population don't do this either...
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Youre right jesus was probs born in the spring. Its not about who hijacked it from who its about the concept of it and the concept of Christmas is to commemorate the birth of Christ thats why it is callled CHRISTmas in the first place so if you celebrate somthing you usually acknowledge its meaning
It’s an individual’s choice whether they acknowledge a meaning. I don’t choose to see the celebration as religious at all because I’m not a Christian and because Jesus wasn’t born at this time of year anyway.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
he was a human sacrifice for a reason making it even more important for christians to commemorate him?
What reason would that be? That his father, in order to forgive man for breaking rules that he made, decided to to have his own son tortured to death?! I dare you to say it out loud - it's stark, raving bonkers.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 week ago
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Disabled athletes should most certainly not celebrate. Televised footage would almost certainly disqualify them from benefits. I can't work... what? Just saw you do a double hot dog on the piste.
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Nope, the Christians stole Yule. Sugarcoat it all you want, but they stole Yule and made it their own celebration, with a focus on Jesus.
Like I said, Yule was originally a celebration of the Winter Solstice and that's what it will always be in my eyes.

I don't know why you're adamant on using the 'CHRISTmas' argument. It's not convincing and doesn't prove anything.
Just because Christians named the celebration Christmas many moons ago, for their celebration of their own beliefs, doesn't give definitive evidence that the entire point of Christmas is to come and celebrate Christ. That's just one demographic's interpretation of the event, which doesn't have to be believed by everyone.

I will celebrate Christmas because of the happiness it brings. I will celebrate Christmas to share gifts, love and spirit. I will celebrate Christmas to spend time with the family. I will do all of this without any thoughts that Christmas is all about Jesus, because quite frankly, the majority of the population don't do this either...
What i am trying to say is that its not about who stole what from who. I dont dispute that it could have derived from Yule in any way shape or form but its wrong to say that it was stolen because then if thats the case we'd all be celebrating Yule christian or non-christian but we are not are we were celebrating Christmas. There were actually christian celebrations held at the same time as yule so its not like it pre dates it. If we are celebrating CHRISTMAS then we have to look at what CHRISTMAS means and thats why im emphasising it. The fact that Christmas means Christ's mass (people coming together to celebrate christ) then means that it is the entire point of CHRISTMAS and proves the most fundamental thing and not any other kind of celebration and thats why i keep emphasizing it. There could easily be other factors and traditions in Christmas but i just highlight this as the main factor.
Just like you I also celebrate Christmas to share gifts, love and spirit and to spend time with the family

Im not telling you you are forbidden to celebrate Christmas first of all because i havent the right tot tell you what you can and cant do and secondly simply because you DO have the right to do whatever you want to do.

The majority of the populations always sing Christmas carols and do nativity plays and everything else around it and all i am saying is that the core element of all of that is the recognition of Jesus' birth and that is a fact but people are not going to be thrown in jail having not believed meaning they can choose to do what they want
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be fair it is rare to see people celebrating Christmas for what it really is, why single out atheists?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.68%
No (520)
72.32%

Watched Threads