The Student Room Group

Can you intercalate in law/medical law to become a lawyer later on?

Hi there

I am interested in both medicine and medical law...can one intercalate in law/medical law to become a medical lawyer as well as a medical doctor later on? If so, can you please tell me of specific courses and training route for the medical law path ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there

I am interested in both medicine and medical law...can one intercalate in law/medical law to become a medical lawyer as well as a medical doctor later on? If so, can you please tell me of specific courses and training route for the medical law path ?

You could certainly display interest by studying a medical law component if there is one available to you. But, ultimately, you would be best served by doing a law conversion course post-graduation - as often you need to follow it with a period of on the job training with a law firm. This is made more difficult by then need to take time out of medical training, therefore reducing your training opportunities and ability to meet competencies. Vice versa, your ability to train properly as a lawyer may be made much harder by your commitments to medicine.

It is rare to do both - I don't want to disuade you from doing what you want to do, just be aware of the challenges it would bring and how difficult/tiring it may become. Don't forget you have postgraduate medical exams after the degree, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending