The Student Room Group

can i convert a history degree into a law degree

i would love to be a barrister, but also love history, is this possible with a history degree, if not can i study history and do a conversion??
You can do a law conversion course (GDL) after any degree.To become a barrister you would need to do the GDL, but it would not be a barrier to going that route.

You can become a solicitor without doing the GDL potentially as you just need to sit the SQE, although in practice you may find it hard or impossible to pass the SQE without doing the GDL or a prep course covering similar content, if your first degree is a non-law degree, as I understand it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Dirtygerty80
i would love to be a barrister, but also love history, is this possible with a history degree, if not can i study history and do a conversion??

Hi @Dirtygerty80

I have just answered your other post, but in case you see this one instead!

"Absolutely! So, I did an English Lit degree, then did a law conversion in the form of a MA Law (conversion) which is a one year course. Having completed that, I am currently studying the Bar Practice Course and should qualify as an unregistered barrister in the summer (fingers crossed!). So, all I now need to do is obtain Pupillage 🙂 It is now a very common route for people to study a different undergrad and then convert to law later on.I hope this helps and good luck!"

Sophie
yh when i was trying to work out who the secret barrister is and i stalked abt 100 male lawyers who'd been called to the bar 2002-2011 and worked in criminal chambers, turns out like 40% had done none law degrees. by far the most common non law was history at oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending