The Student Room Group

Law undergrad or wait for postgrad?

Hi, I'm a student going into year 12 and I'm starting to more seriously think about which degree I would like to study. I'm really interested in becoming a lawyer but a few people have advised me against doing a law degree and instead doing an unrelated degree and going to law school afterwards. Does anyone have any idea on how good of an idea this is? I'm not totally convinced on being a lawyer so I guess it would give me some time to figure it out but at the same time if I do decide on it I don't want to be at a disadvantage to others because of it:frown:
If you're going into year 12 there's still a year to think about what you want to study. No one can really answer this but you, you need to compare law and the other course you want to study - perhaps by reading some related books or careers, attending opening days etc. There are quite a lot of people who study a non-law degree then go on to law after - but of course this takes more time and money, and you're ultimately studying for something you aren't going into. I personally know someone who regrets studying English and is doing a conversion course, which is fine but is an extra year, and has no clue what law is compared to law students who are studying the SQE. Studying law at undergrad also gives you an idea of what kind of law you want to go into.

Overall, try to book some open days and try online chatting to law students - should be on uni websites. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sophieee789
If you're going into year 12 there's still a year to think about what you want to study. No one can really answer this but you, you need to compare law and the other course you want to study - perhaps by reading some related books or careers, attending opening days etc. There are quite a lot of people who study a non-law degree then go on to law after - but of course this takes more time and money, and you're ultimately studying for something you aren't going into. I personally know someone who regrets studying English and is doing a conversion course, which is fine but is an extra year, and has no clue what law is compared to law students who are studying the SQE. Studying law at undergrad also gives you an idea of what kind of law you want to go into.

Overall, try to book some open days and try online chatting to law students - should be on uni websites. Good luck :smile:

Great I'll try and start doing that. Thank you so much I really appreciate it!
Original post by issyb_123
Hi, I'm a student going into year 12 and I'm starting to more seriously think about which degree I would like to study. I'm really interested in becoming a lawyer but a few people have advised me against doing a law degree and instead doing an unrelated degree and going to law school afterwards. Does anyone have any idea on how good of an idea this is? I'm not totally convinced on being a lawyer so I guess it would give me some time to figure it out but at the same time if I do decide on it I don't want to be at a disadvantage to others because of it:frown:

Hi! If you are absolutely set on being a lawyer I would say start off with a law degree- my personal advice is do not waste your time studying something else and doing a conversion course later on when you know you want to study law and become a lawyer. Saying that if you do decide to do a conversion course later on I do not think you will be at a disadvantage. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by issyb_123

If you study Law at a top tier university, then you will be recruited by a top law firm. :smile:

What are your A-Level grades going to be? Most top law firms want A*AA, AAA or AAB.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/universities-and-graduate-earnings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending