The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by e^iπ
You do realise this guy is a troll.

Anyone who uses the phrase "white privilege" unironically shouldnt be taken seriously

And currently considering applying to Cambridge for postgrad...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5205742&p=80425332&page=8&highlight=#post80425332
Reply 41
Original post by Doonesbury

Welp

probably didn't get into Oxbridge first time round and is possibly non-white

but instead of accepting they weren't good enough, they will use the race card and demand "names to be pulled out of a hat" to avoid bias
Original post by e^iπ
Welp

but instead of accepting they weren't good enough, they will use the race card and demand "names to be pulled out of a hat" to avoid bias

And then, to avoid racial bias, a hat for each race .. where their definition of race gets them their own hat.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
And then, to avoid racial bias, a hat for each race .. where their definition of race gets them their own hat.

Surely that would give an advantage to Harrovians.
If you meet the entry requirements, APPLY. Do not believe the rubbish that there is a preference for Public schoolsa- there isn't. Oxford needs more qualified state school applicants - they can only offer them places if they apply! I did.

Thanks for giving me more confidence to apply. I should be able to get the requirements to do computer science (1A*, 2As ) but I'll also need to do the MAT...
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
Thanks for giving me more confidence to apply. I should be able to get the requirements to do computer science (1A*, 2As ) but I'll also need to do the MAT...

That's very good to hear. It's very competitive, but the only way not to have a chance (if you meet the entry requirements) is to not apply. I quite enjoy doing MAT questions, albeit not under exam conditions. I've even been known to use them when I interview people (I work in software in the Silicon Valley).

If you have any specific quesitons that aren't answered on the website, at least one CS Professor posts on here.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 46
Private school students typically score around half a standard deviation (7.5 points) higher on IQ tests than state school students, at the age of 17-18. Correspondingly, they do better, on average, in their GCSEs and A-Levels, and almost certainly do better in the aptitude and admissions tests deployed by Oxbridge as well as in their rigorous interview process. Thus, private school students are bound to be overrepresented at Oxbridge.

It's likely that high-achieving state school students - and high-achieving students from disadvantaged backgrounds - are less likely to apply to Oxbridge than high-achieving private school students. Yet, Oxbridge already carries out extensive outreach to those from disadvantaged backgrounds to encourage them to apply.

The BBC article states that "high-achieving independent school pupils were twice as likely as state school pupils to apply to Oxford and Cambridge, even with the same ability and predicted grades", yet I couldn't find anything as explicit as this in the report. The report did, however, state that "just 25% of state school students with grades A*A*A and above apply to Oxford, compared to 37% of such students from private schools." Of course, part of this difference could be due to state school students not believing that they have the right GCSE grades to apply to Oxford, but it seems likely that a large proportion is due to different attitudes to Oxbridge among state and private school students.

Oxbridge also take into account contexual data in admissions. They could go further and explicitly lower entry requirements for those from disadvantaged backgrounds, but they would first have to study - and take into account already existing findings on - the degree to which academic achievement is down to coming from a "privileged background". The fact is that genetic differences play a far greater role in explaining differences in academic achievement, and IQ, than "nurture" does. Nurture, including the home and school environment, explains at most one-third of the variance in GCSE scores, and much less (around 16%) of the variance in the IQ scores of 17-year-olds.

Thus, even if we were to get rid of all of the environmental privileges that private school students enjoy, completely equalising the home and school environments, and encourage the same proportion of state school students to apply to Oxbridge as private school students, we'd still see overrepresentation of private school students, due to differences in average innate ability between the two groups.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury

Original post by e^iπ
Welp

This hypocrite also asks the dumbest questions. See: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5205742&page=30#post81033934

I, for one, am non-white (Asian) and applying to Oxbridge for postgrad. Honestly can't believe the ludicrous myths that this guy is spewing, and yet he is considering applying to Cambridge? How do you take someone like that seriously? What in the world...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by viddy9
Private school students typically score around half a standard deviation (7.5 points) higher on IQ tests than state school students, at the age of 17-18. Correspondingly, they do better, on average, in their GCSEs and A-Levels, and almost certainly do better in the aptitude and admissions tests deployed by Oxbridge as well as in their rigorous interview process. Thus, private school students are bound to be overrepresented at Oxbridge.

It's likely that high-achieving state school students - and high-achieving students from disadvantaged backgrounds - are less likely to apply to Oxbridge than high-achieving private school students. Yet, Oxbridge already carries out extensive outreach to those from disadvantaged backgrounds to encourage them to apply.

The BBC article states that "high-achieving independent school pupils were twice as likely as state school pupils to apply to Oxford and Cambridge, even with the same ability and predicted grades", yet I couldn't find anything as explicit as this in the report. The report did, however, state that "just 25% of state school students with grades A*A*A and above apply to Oxford, compared to 37% of such students from private schools." Of course, part of this difference could be due to state school students not believing that they have the right GCSE grades to apply to Oxford, but it seems likely that a large proportion is due to different attitudes to Oxbridge among state and private school students.

Oxbridge also take into account contexual data in admissions. They could go further and explicitly lower entry requirements for those from disadvantaged backgrounds, but they would first have to study - and take into account already existing findings on - the degree to which academic achievement is down to coming from a "privileged background". The fact is that genetic differences play a far greater role in explaining differences in academic achievement, and IQ, than "nurture" does. Nurture, including the home and school environment, explains at most one-third of the variance in GCSE scores, and much less (around 16%) of the variance in the IQ scores of 17-year-olds.

Thus, even if we were to get rid of all of the environmental privileges that private school students enjoy, completely equalising the home and school environments, and encourage the same proportion of state school students to apply to Oxbridge as private school students, we'd still see overrepresentation of private school students, due to differences in average innate ability between the two groups.

There's so many problems with your answer

1. 'Genetic differences' give me a bloody break, obviously the higher standard of education from the age of 4-18 is going to account for that slightly higher IQ percentage in private school pupils. IQ is not set at birth you know, it's true you can't go from say an IQ of 80 to 150 in your formative years, but you can certainly increase or decrease it. The notion that private school students are part of some ancient elite gene pool is just absurd, and even if it is true the differences in practice would be extremely minimal. The private school eugenics argument has no grounding.

2. Also, it makes no sense to just compare the IQ of private school and state school students, all you can do is compare the IQ of comprehensive school students applying to Oxbridge vs Private School students. And when you consider the factor that top state school students get the same grades with worse socio-economic backgrounds and worse educational facilities you would assume their IQ's would be higher. I mean if you look at the data for how comprehensive and private school students actually perform at Oxbridge, comprehensive students actually do slightly better.
Reply 49
I think that the issue is much wider than just two universities and eight shcools.

How do you think that the son/daughter of this PM/MP/CEO/Director/King/Prince etc almost always graduates from top schools like Harvard, Stanford and Oxbridge. If you think that the admission procedure is the same as with the average mortals then you delude yourselves.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Gov767
'Genetic differences' give me a bloody break, obviously the higher standard of education from the age of 4-18 is going to account for that slightly higher IQ percentage in private school pupils.

By the age of 17-18, which is when these cognitive ability tests have often been administered, the proportion of the variance in IQ accounted for by the shared environment (things like parenting and schooling) is very marginal. The cat is already out of the bag: see this study published earlier this year, which states: "we found substantial mean genetic differences between students of different school types: students in non-selective schools had lower EduYears GPS compared to those in grammar (d = 0.41) and private schools (d = 0.37)."

It's not a "slightly" higher average IQ either: private school pupils tend to outperform state school pupils by half a standard deviation, or 7.5 points. This results in significant overrepresentation at the right-tail of the IQ distribution.

Original post by Gov767
Also, it makes no sense to just compare the IQ of private school and state school students, all you can do is compare the IQ of comprehensive school students applying to Oxbridge vs Private School students. And when you consider the factor that top state school students get the same grades with worse socio-economic backgrounds and worse educational facilities you would assume their IQ's would be higher. I mean if you look at the data for how comprehensive and private school students actually perform at Oxbridge, comprehensive students actually do slightly better.

Naturally, there's no reason to think that state school applicants are any less "qualified" than private school applicants. However, that's not the topic of discussion. We're attempting to explain the overrepresentation of private school students at Oxbridge. Due to their higher average IQ, private school students will be overrepresented in the ranks of those who achieve the required GCSE and A-Level grades, and the required aptitude test scores.

I agree that comprehensive school students do better at university than private school students, on average. I should also say that I went to a comprehensive school.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ok, these schools obviously train students better for the interviews and craft better students. Good on them, they're probably more able than most other Oxford applicants because of this.

Latest

Trending

Trending