The Student Room Group

Universities launch drive to recruit more white males as low numbers give them 'minor

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/09/universities-launch-drive-recruit-white-males-low-numbers-give/

Essex and Aston Universities have become Britain’s first non-elite institutions to write the target into their official recruitment plans, putting white males on a par with Black students and women engineers.

White British students are in a minority at roughly one in ten institutions, according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency. Meanwhile on certain courses such as pharmacy, business and some science degrees, more than seven in 10 students is from an ethnic minority.

In 2016-17, 27% of the UK undergraduate intake were white males, down from 30% in 2007-08.

Why do you think this is?
it is sensible. there should be tailor made courses to suit this particular demographic:

i) Van Studies with Scooter Technology

ii) Tattoo: the theory and praxis of body art in British males

iii) Saveloy: the role of pork products in the post war transmission of working class cultural diegesis. oi oi.
Reply 2
Original post by Spirithorse
In 2016-17, 27% of the UK undergraduate intake were white males, down from 30% in 2007-08.

What were they in absolute numbers in 2007 vs 2016...?
Original post by Doonesbury
What were they in absolute numbers in 2007 vs 2016...?

Great question @Doonesbury. I'd be intersted to find out..
This is the data from HESA
Capture.jpg
Why were white males down?

Could be to do with the fact people keep telling them they have privilege and therefore are treated less favourably......
Reply 6
Original post by Spirithorse
This is the data from HESA
Capture.jpg

Yep I saw that, but it doesn't analyse by both gender and ethnicity.

Also we are missing the overall background population demographic. Ie. White males applying to university Vs total white males of university age. Could be simplified by filtering for just white males age 18...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andrew97
Why were white males down?

Could be to do with the fact people keep telling them they have privilege and therefore are treated less favourably......

Quoted you in the TSR news article here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/news/universities-launch-drive-to-recruit-more-white-male-undergraduates
If you walk past any of the science departments at most of the decent unis theres hardly any English/white people there. Why this isnt a national emergency I do not know. Maybe its part of the calculated takedown of the traditional middle class? Or some sort of globalist eugenics. Certain parts of our city centres may aswell be China frankly.

Quick Reply

Latest