The Student Room Group

Eating disorder sufferer, sister makes me feel uncomfortable?

I'm 24 and I've suffered from an eating disorder on-and-off, but am currently just on the borderline of the 'healthy weight' BMI range.

Long story short, I find that certain types of people/situations are negative influences for my own self-perception and consciousness of my own diet. For example, people who are vary concerned about their calorie intake & diet can make me feel stressed: I can't help but compare my own diet, and feel guilty about my own food intake, and feel compelled I (sometimes without meaning to) restrict my own calories more, lose my appetite etc....I'm much happier around people who are more relaxed about food; they may be fairly slim and healthy, but they aren't overly restrictive.

Anyway, my younger sister used to be a little overweight, until she went to university and had a more 'normal' diet. She then lost some weight, and is now a healthy weight. She seems to me to be quite focused on her food, buying everything low calorie & zero fat, not eating foods she used to enjoy.....Hence, I feel quite anxious and unhappy at home, and avoid going home when she's there. I can't control others' eating habits, nor do I want to, but I can control what I do....So I avoid home when my sister's there. My parents criticize me and shout at me for this.

I've tried explaining my feelings to my parents but they are not very understanding.
I just feel my sister is a negative influence on me and I'm already bad enough with my dietary habits and scrutiny - I don't need more of it thrown in my face at home.

How can I cope with this situation? I have to stay at home for another week or so.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 24 and I've suffered from an eating disorder on-and-off, but am currently just on the borderline of the 'healthy weight' BMI range.

Long story short, I find that certain types of people/situations are negative influences for my own self-perception and consciousness of my own diet. For example, people who are vary concerned about their calorie intake & diet can make me feel stressed: I can't help but compare my own diet, and feel guilty about my own food intake, and feel compelled I (sometimes without meaning to) restrict my own calories more, lose my appetite etc....I'm much happier around people who are more relaxed about food; they may be fairly slim and healthy, but they aren't overly restrictive.

Anyway, my younger sister used to be a little overweight, until she went to university and had a more 'normal' diet. She then lost some weight, and is now a healthy weight. She seems to me to be quite focused on her food, buying everything low calorie & zero fat, not eating foods she used to enjoy.....Hence, I feel quite anxious and unhappy at home, and avoid going home when she's there. I can't control others' eating habits, nor do I want to, but I can control what I do....So I avoid home when my sister's there. My parents criticize me and shout at me for this.

I've tried explaining my feelings to my parents but they are not very understanding.
I just feel my sister is a negative influence on me and I'm already bad enough with my dietary habits and scrutiny - I don't need more of it thrown in my face at home.

How can I cope with this situation? I have to stay at home for another week or so.

I know what you're talking about! It's hard to not compare. We have to try to not be influenced by other peolpe's decisons. Your sister probably doesn't think anything of her food choices concerning you. Have you talked to her about it? I hope that you are able to grow and find peace with food!

Quick Reply

Latest