The Student Room Group

Farm/Equine/Mixed Clinical Placement Recommendations?

I'm an Australian vet student looking for somewhere to do 2 weeks of clinical placement in the UK in July. I'll be halfway through my 4th year (of 5) and will have done 7 weeks of clinical placement in Australia already. Ideally, I'd like large animal practice within easy travelling distance of a major city. Cheap accommodation nearby that I can get to by walking or public transport would be a major bonus. Where have you had good experiences?
Also, if anyone has tips for organising placement in the UK from overseas or travelling around the UK and between the UK and Europe on a budget, please share.
Thanks!
Wern veterinary Surgeons in Ruthin. Ruthin is very cheap, Wales is beautiful, the people were lovely, and you have Chester, Liverpool and Manchester fairly close by. I really enjoyed it there. Have a look and see if you can get a 16-25 railcard for travelling in England as it makes train travel much cheaper, other than that use air bnbs for staying less than a week and look on tripadvisor for cheap hotels otherwise. Good luck!
Original post by stimtothesky
Wern veterinary Surgeons in Ruthin. Ruthin is very cheap, Wales is beautiful, the people were lovely, and you have Chester, Liverpool and Manchester fairly close by. I really enjoyed it there. Have a look and see if you can get a 16-25 railcard for travelling in England as it makes train travel much cheaper, other than that use air bnbs for staying less than a week and look on tripadvisor for cheap hotels otherwise. Good luck!

Thank you!! What did you do for accommodation, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Moment'sSilence
Thank you!! What did you do for accommodation, if you don't mind me asking?

I stayed in Denbigh with a friend but the other vet student there was offered accommodation by the practice. Your best bet is probably to email [email protected] or [email protected] and check if they’re even available on those dates etc- the work experience coordinator is Nia Williams. It’s a big practice with lots of branches so you should see lots. There was always TB testing/something equine/PDing/routine stuff then there was also the more exciting stuff too (I saw an ex lap on a calf while I was there) so you should get a good mix of the routine and interesting.
Original post by stimtothesky
I stayed in Denbigh with a friend but the other vet student there was offered accommodation by the practice. Your best bet is probably to email [email protected] or [email protected] and check if they’re even available on those dates etc- the work experience coordinator is Nia Williams. It’s a big practice with lots of branches so you should see lots. There was always TB testing/something equine/PDing/routine stuff then there was also the more exciting stuff too (I saw an ex lap on a calf while I was there) so you should get a good mix of the routine and interesting.

Sounds fantastic, I'll definitely send them an email. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending