The Student Room Group

Veterinary medicine work experience

Hi, I’m currently in my first year of Alevels and I’m really struggling to get any work experience. I have no connections in farming or veterinary. Everywhere I ask turns me down or just ignores me. I have 5 days in a kennels and 4 in a stables so far. Any advice?
Original post by Elizabeth200
Hi, I’m currently in my first year of Alevels and I’m really struggling to get any work experience. I have no connections in farming or veterinary. Everywhere I ask turns me down or just ignores me. I have 5 days in a kennels and 4 in a stables so far. Any advice?

Advice I gave to a similar poster recently:

You have to be persistent. Veterinary practices are common; there are loads around you. Call them first, as it makes a better impression than an email. On this forum at the top, there is a pinned resource thread which gives thorough detail on how to acquire work experience placements for vet med. I recommend you read this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7013645

It's tough. When I was preparing to apply to vet med, I had to ring hundreds of businesses to find the few that would take me seriously. But all vet students had to do it - it's one way the vet schools determine how serious the applicants are. You've got this!

Good luck :smile:
Just echoing above really. Don't bother emailing most places as I can tell you emails are so easily lost, forgotten or simply ignored. I know it can be scary but call them instead, then at least you get your answers directly within a few minutes and know where you stand (i.e. do they even accept work experience, if so where is best to ask/apply, if they can check dates they have free etc) and it also shows a bit more initiative so maybe they'll take you more seriously - anyone can type an email, it takes more balls to call and communicate effectively so shows you're serious. You could even go in person if you felt up for it. I would make a little CV (more an 'about you' page) with your school, grades, previous work experience, hobbies, skills and maybe anything you've done in school like guiding or prefecting etc so you are ready to send that in case they ask, and if you do send any more emails include that. Have the dates you can do prepared too - vet clinics can be booked up months and sometimes even years in advance, so you may have to start looking for a placement with a vet clinic for summer rather than Christmas for example, and they usually tend to prefer Mon-Fri block placements rather than weekends/evenings unlike some places. I would say to aim for getting at least 2 weeks vet clinics if possible but an increasing number of vet schools isn't stipulating a minimum amount of hours anymore so it may not be the end of the world if you can't get exactly that, but obviously having 2+ weeks would prepare you much better for the application process and potential future course and career.

But non-clinical work experience is just as important. It's good you've got kennels and a stables, it's good to have a variety of species. I would really encourage you to do a lambing placement which would probably have to be done either in your February half term or Easter holidays as it is seasonal to Spring, it really helps gets you prepared for all the things like fluids, difficult situations, bad weather and long hours and vet schools like to see it I think. You don't have to be anywhere near a farm as a lot of farmers provide free accommodation and meals - the National Sheep Association website has adverts posted by farmers looking for students and it opens in November I believe. You could also try looking around on The Lambing Club on fb - I'm sure if you posted yourself on there you could also find other farming placements like with cattle, pigs or poultry too. For those I'd also do a little google around your area as that's how I found all of mine. If that fails, a petting zoo is okay for just getting used to being around farm animals at this stage, so you could try those. If not, you could just go back to the kennels and stables you've been at to get some extra hours in if you felt it's necessary.

Remember to keep a work experience diary with all the contacts, hours, tasks/things you've seen/learned etc as that will make it easier when you come to apply. Also remember to gather references at the end of placements as some unis do ask for them and it's stressful if you have to handle it last minute from a placement you've done months ago. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending