The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it is widely known that feeding children on fresh fruit, meat and vegetables will give them a huge advantage in life. however not everyone can afford proper food, so presumably it should be banned and we should all live on crisp's and ciggie's, washed down with energy drink's.
Ban tutors as it causes inequalities, then ban revision guides as some of the families living below the poverty line would not be able to finance them, you might as well ban parenthood as well to further mitigate inequalities as some parents may be smart and provide children with ongoing academic support others may not be.
Ban computers too. Can't have those wealthy kids staying up all night acquiring the vast knowledge of the internet while poor kids are sat watching reality tv without a computer.
I don’t think it’s fair, everyone should have the same chance at education regardless of their wealth and background
Original post by Icykitten
I don’t think it’s fair, everyone should have the same chance at education regardless of their wealth and background

That’s contradictory. For that you’d need an equal playing field, but you’ve made that impossible by making wealth and background exceptions.
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard !
For a number of reasons some people are more beneficial to 1:1 tutoring - really it's just another version of home school. In your education you do what works best for you to elevate your learning.
The way people are reacting to things 'not being fair' is ludicrous - why don't we just ban education all together ! Ridiculous.
Some people’s parents help them with homework, should that be banned too? Lol There are so many different resources out there for people to use, and banning anything that enhances knowledge and education is arguably against the point of it. Education is about learning more and enhancing one’s competence. It’s not about everyone being equal at the expense of quality
private education can make a huge difference to children's lives. ask Diane Abbott's children.

:h:
Original post by Professor Oak
This tutoring site says 1 in 4 students use private tutoring to boost their grades.

Is that fair to students who can't afford it? Should private tutors be banned?

some students may have different learning styles and some teachers do not like to change their styles, so banning them would cause a disadvantage to students how are not able to understand, furthermore, banning them due to not being able to afford it would means that they should work harder to get out of their class
No.
Original post by Icykitten

So do you mean that everyone should have a chance at a lesser education? Because if someone needs a tutor and they are not allowed one because that’s not allowed, then their quality of education will be less that it could be, had they had a tutor. So you want someone to have a lesser education because someone else can’t afford a good education? Finally, do you want the quality of education in the country at large to fall, simply because not everyone can afford a really good education? I’m not even targeting you personally, I’m targeting anyone who holds this absurd view in a capitalist society, where equality isn’t a thing. I wish we lived in an ideal world, but we don’t, so why shouldn’t people utilize their resources to optimise their knowledge and qualifications? Oh yeah, because someone else can’t and that wouldn’t be faaaaair. Jesus. I never had a tutor by the way, but I never felt it unfair that others did. In the same way that it’s totally fine for people to have better nutrition and clothes etc
Original post by StormyOcean
It is a tricky issue because those who can't afford them do miss out. However if it wasn't for my GCSE English and Maths tutor, my dyslexia would have stopped me passing those subjects. And then when I did A levels I was really ill for Y12 and knew I wouldn't be able to learn all the biology course on my own so I saw a bio tutor once a week who guided me through everything.

For students who do struggle academically or with confidence I think they can be invaluable and I know I wouldn't be where I am academically now without them

I agree.
If people want to get one, then let them have one.
What a stupid idea - banning private tutors.

huehuehue, I don't like that people have a better start in life than me. Instead of climbing to their level lets drag them down.

Who would even suggest reducing the amount of education available is a good idea.

What a joke thread concept.

Lets all be cave-men again bcos xyz goes to a better school. Probably just best if nobody went to school eh?
I definitely don't think so. I am dyslexic and have had maths tutoring for around 8 months or so. At the end of year 10, I got a grade 3 in maths, with A LOT of hard work from September-November-( around 4 hrs tutoring a week, plus maths lessons at school, and 5 hrs homework a week) I achieved a grade 5 in my mock. I am hoping for a grade 6 or 7 in my GCSE, where I was failing BIG time. Without an amazing tutor, this would never been possible, I am at a very poor school.
I'm now in year 11, and currently have tutors in- maths, English, and 2 different science tutors being dyslexic the education system isn't that great, I would not do well without this extra help!!!
You can receive all the tutoring in the world and still be dumb. Tutoring just helps kids unlock their potential with one to one sessions that hey wouldn’t usually get in school and if we ban tutors, surely we should ban revision websites and such because not everyone has the computers to access them - making it not fair to them
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Miss Maddie
Banning private tutors will lead to academic parents tutoring their kids. The kids doing well, the elite of the school, will get smaller and more elite

I know you said this a week ago.. but.. this was something I was going to say. You can't stop kids from getting help from parents alone, so those with less academically able parents would be left behind.
How can you ban this? It is mostly done on an informal basis (i.e. paid in cash with no trace), so what good would a ban do if you cannot trace people that do it or not? It helps teachers earn extra income (supply) and parents will do anything to give their kids an edge (demand). Ban it or not, it's not going away and IMO this is a pointless argument.

Latest

Trending

Trending