The Student Room Group

In a bit of a pickle

So iv'e always wanted to go into finance and basically thought IB you know cuz it pays alot and is cool. But I really thought about the whole sell your soul thing and it kind of just dsnt apeal to me as much as it did.

Now i have internship offers for Commercial banking and Investment banking, I'm pretty hardworking and driven so I'd like to think I'd be able to turn the internships into job offers.

So basically IB Vs commercial banking, (my offers are likely to be 39K for the commercial bank and idk what probs 60ishK + for the IB analyst).

I grew up on my moms unemployment check so even just 38K would be pretty sick but it just makes me think I would be taking the easy road if i went into CMB and an arrogant part of me feels as if I deserve to be earning 100K+ which is alot easier to do in IB, and c'mon CMB is just a **** version of IB right?

SO basically i really wanna do CB but the low salary (relative to IB) makes me feel 'wrong, makes my gut wrench' that I could be earning so much more.

I'm the type of guy to enjoy life and have fun, IB looks like the most boring thing you can do-I highly value my recreational time and CMB allows me to stay happyface.

IBD however lets me live the high life so ehhhhhhhh.

So if you were in my position, someone who is really driven and wants to go far in life but equally is a massive hedonist (i have losts of hobbies and a huge social life I don't want to give up) which trade off would you go for?

IB or CMB.
**** hours and giving up on recreational time so i earn a **** ton have a niceeee house and drive a nice whip or getting home at 6 and just having fun till midnight and still earning a good amount.
not going to tell you what to do, but will leave you with the statement that IBD doesn't let you live the high life.

-former IB analyst turned main street.

the only good thing about ibd for me was i met the woman i love - oh and the credibility that comes with the experience which helped me leave.
Easier to get into Commercial banking from IBD than IBD from commerical. I'd say give IB a go then switch if you arent enjoying it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending