The Student Room Group

A level maths resit worth it?

I'm on a gap year because wasn't sure what to study. Still not completely sure what I will be studying. It may be science or may be maths/economics. Either way I will need to recap some maths.

I needed 81 UMS in core 4 to get an A* overall but just flopped the exam more than i was expecting. Not sure whether to resit. Will cost me about £33? my reasons for resitting isn't only because an A* is quite achievable, only 1 exam out of the 6 to resit and it's not like i need 90something ums either.. but also i need to keep my maths going anyway so will have to do some revision whether i sit the exam or not. If i don't resit i will have more time to self teach some AS further maths and things instead though. Also, for me to recap c4 it will take just 1 day- but to get it up to exam standard will take much longer.

Also, I don't really need a higher grade so i'm not sure if it's just a waste of money and time.

Do i need to let the unis i've applied to know (i've told them my achieved grades and wouldn't want it to be made part of my offer). Will they find out i've sat it? they might not like 'resits' but i'm just doing it for 'fun', not for entry? What if I do badly, will it matter? what happens if I don't turn up for the exam- is that bad?

The only reason that might happen is if i decide i haven't revised enough.

Also- i'm planning to go on holiday 1/2 weeks before the exam- is this a bad idea? I also work full time. How long do you reckon it will take me to revise and what would your plan be- content for february and march (just a few hours) and then April and May doing past papers? Then holiday. Should I be good to go??

Opinions please.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest